[TR] MT Adams- South Spur 7/4/2004

Climb: MT Adams-South Spur

Date of Climb: 7/4/2004

Trip Report:

Beck and I drove down Saturday night, met 2 of his friends at the parking lot. Had a quick dinner and went to bed. I was kinda wound up so I was wide awake at 3 AM when his friends got up. Hit the trail at 4 and met 3 other people who had camped at the Round The Mountain trail junction. They wandered on to the trail just as we were passing by. We now had a group of 7. It had been a cold night so the snow was very hard. My crampons won’t fit my ski boots so I got by with ski crampons and skins. Took a nice long break at Lunch Counter and then headed for the top. Started skinning then booted it the rest of the way in the nice boot track. When we got to the false summit we decided to ski the South Spur instead of the SW Chutes because we didn’t think they would soften up till late afternoon. We could see people skiing very slowly and carefully down them. Some of our group decided to go for the real summit, however, it was icy and blowing so I was happy to hang out in the shelter of the rocks and BS with the other people hanging out and waiting for the snow to soften up. The snow was kinda funky for the first few hundred feet but from there on down it was awesome corn. Nice steeps on the Crescent Glacier. We stretched out the skiing as far as we could dodging rock and trees at the bottom.

I thought 4 AM was way to early to start, but with a group of 7 with quite a difference in abilities it was a good idea. It was nice to watch the sunrise and sit around and enjoy the views while waiting.

Quote of the day from a 68 year old tele dude from Cali: “I just fallow the snow”. He was awesome!

Gear Notes:

Need to get crampons that fit my ski boots

Approach Notes:

Road 23 over the Dark Divide has been graded and is fairly smooth.

1281P1010025-med.JPG

No style points for this turn!

1281P1010007-med.JPG

St Hellens in the early morning light.

Edited by Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey we were up there yesterday too. We left the summit around 1 pm. You might have recognized us, we were napping at the false summit between 10 and 12 AM. You also might have witnessed Donelly's bid to crack 50 mph, followed by a demonstration of the consequences of hitting 2-foot runnels at 50 mph. hahaha.gifwink.gif

The chutes were a bit icy at the top but were softened up alright after a few hundred feet. So many people had already skied the chutes that is was starting to look like a mogul run!

A group of 5 (Al, Dina, Jim, Matt & I) went up on Saturday. Quite the social scene. Meet up with Pete & Becky, and Steve & Sam - who I knew of from tt.com. We hung out and started down the chutes at 2 pm., should have gone an hour earlier but it was still fun.

Al dropping into the SW Chutes

site1070.jpg

Pete cutting loose

site1071.jpg

Becky getting psyched

site1072.jpg

Jim dropping the knee

site1073.jpg

That was a great way to spend the Fourth of July! It wasn't too windy at the summit, but skiing off the top was a bit choppy. Great snow overall, and a 5,500 foot run. Great weather and one heck of a good time, back to town in time to catch the fireworks!

questions:

is it difficult to find the trail back to cold springs from the bottom of the chutes?

Just trend skiers left and down, and you'll run into the Round the Mountain trail around 6K. May have to negotiate some cliff bands, but are plenty of passages through.

Then go left back to the intersection.

• 1 year later...

dumb question: "drove down and met in the parking lot" would that be Cold Springs? because on 5/23 I called the ranger and was told you could only get withen 4.5 miles due to snow.

We skied it last year on the silkiest corn!!!Awsome

Thanks

LoneTree