quest for cathedral peak beta

tyree

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean Cathedral Peak in Tuolumne, the descent is very obvious, either a 4th class chimney or single rope rappel on the west side of the summit block, to reach 3rd class slabs which descend to the west and northwest.

Oops, I somehow didn't notice that this is posted under North Cascades. Never mind.

Edited by Norman_Clyde

going up to catherdal to introduce my girlfriend to mountaineering. wondering the easiest way off the mtn when climbin the SE but. is it the N ridge or NE? im just trying to break her in nice and easy. thanks in advance bigdrink.gif

its a bit of a walk, 20 miles or so, to break her into mountaineering. Plus, I think the route has a 5.9 OW I think. With all that in mind, you might be walking out alone. cry.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Check for trail closures due to past fires. When we did it in 2001 we ended up hiking 44 miles roud trip because the more direct 10 mile approach was closed. We summitted on Sept 11 with blue skies in all directions and not a plane in the sky. I remember thinking how peaceful it was. When we hiked out the next day we were probably the last people in America to learn the Twin Towers had collapsed.

Just follow the cairnes for the walk off. Make sure to stay left of the ridge on the way down. The walk off involves one or two airy steps over big drop offs but is overall non-technical.

The 5.9 off-width was a big surprise and we didn't bring anything large enough to protect it. There is a sweet 10a finger crack 8-10 feet to the right of the hanging belay below the off-width that for some reason isn't in the Becky guide. It protected well with a yellow TCU and 2 red Aliens. About 20 feet up there is a hand crack and a short traverse left to rejoin the std route just above the off-width.

I think the SE Buttress is one of my favorite climbs I've ever done. Enjoy.