76 bain trail from Monte Cristo

vinemaple

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't answer your question as to which way is better but I was in Glacier Basin yesterday and can tell you the couloir/gully leading up to the base of E. Wilmans Spire is still snow-filled. The constriction has some moating issues but apparently you traverse into the gully above the constriction. Gully is steep. Crampons and ice axe are probably mandatory.

Crampons aren't necessarily required, though I would definitely recomend an ice axe. I was up there two weeks ago and had no problem climbing the gully with sneakers on. The snow was soft enough to kick steps without boots.

As for 76 versus Glacier, I have only done the Glacier Basin trail. Glacier Basin trail is pretty staright forward.

Thanks for the input. I climbed foggy peak that same weekend. According to Fred's alpine guide you can get to wilmans gap from the basin but His discription is a bit vague. The gully you mention is the one to the E. willmans spire I believe. What is the traverse like on the otherside over to the wilman peaks?

I was just up there and climbed Wilmans peak. Depends what you want to climb. If you just want to climb Wilmans peak you should head up by E. Wilmans via the gully from Glacier basin. From there to Wilmans peak is 3rd class scrambling. It is difficult to access the 76 glacier from Wilmans peak or E. Wilmans Spire due to cliffs. We did engineer a rappel down to the 76 from a gully. If you want to Independence tower or Sawhorse or E. Wilmans Peak I would reccomend Wilmans gap from the Glacier Basin. You might want to hit Columbia peak if you go this way and then do the loop out through Silver Lake. I have heard the trail to 76 basin is not great and in any event it doesn't look easy to get from the basin up to the 76 glacier as there are steep slabs and cliffs -- which I am sure can be negotiated if you are into that sort of thing. One tour I reccomend is to climb N. Wilmans, S. Wilmans and E. Wilmans Spire. I set up some good rappels direcly from South Wilmans spire to the East Wilmans spire gap. These rappels make doing all the spires easy to do in a day and makes the trip more worthwhile. The route up the S spire might be cooler than East Wilmans actually as it involves a short section of knife edge ridge. In addition the S. Spire is the highest for the peak bagger in you.

My partner lost a crampon on the approach gully on EW spire so we opted to descend via 76 as per Becky. Ended up rapping on twig for the last bit and did some nasty bushwacking before locating a trail... good luck however you go.