North Face of NW ridge of Adams

dugdaled

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not current, but I climbed this route the second weekend in June last year, and it was in great condition. Very straightforward but fun. Max slope is about 50 degrees, mostly 35 to 40. The bergshrund crossing down low can sometimes be an issue. It is easy to bypass by getting on the Northwest Ridge and traversing over though.

I would bet that it would be in good condition any weekend this month, unless it's after a big storm.

Guessing that you’re interested in this more as a climb rather than a ski...

We skied it last year about this time and it was pretty much top to bottom corn. We'll be in that neck of the woods in the next few days and will post a TR here.

Until then, you can check out these links as I think they would represent similar coverage to what is there now:

June 6th, 2003 ski descent

June 5-8th, 2003 skiing the lower flanks

June 27th, 2003 ski descent

As for snow conditions for climbing, I don't know. Plus we usually ski northside routes blind and climb the north ridge for its fast and easy access. I think if you're on route early, things should be nice and firm for cramponing.

I posted a few photos of the north side of Adams on my site today. Friday we went in and skied the Lyman Glacier (south portion). Climbing up the North Ridge, we could definitely see that there was fresh snow on the NFNWR (and most of the upper mountain). Strangely though, there were a few rock poking through in the constriction that you normally do not see until late summer/early fall. wazzup.gif

we dug out the last snow bank on Friday:

Road 2329 is now open to Killen Creek TH, but only via the back way (FR 23 to 21 to 56 to 5603 to 2329). The standard way (FR 23 to 2329) is still blocked by snow before Takhlakh Lake. More importantly, FR 23 is now completely open from Randle to Trout Lake, as of 1AM on June 3.

go for it! bigdrink.gif