Rock fall closures in Yosemite.

brook_alongi

Just returned from the valley and Middle Cathedral and the areas surrounding it are currently closed due to a rockfall incident from the central pillar of frenzy. It's unknown when it will open. Try not to plan any trips around the central pillar of frenzy or the Middle cathedral.

Also remember not to bring dogs to the base of climbing areas in Yosemite. Some climbers left their dog at the base, tied up, and it was helplessly injured in the rock fall. It's against park rules anyway.

There is plenty of climbing in the valley, so you won't get cut short if you're planning a trip in the next few weeks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remeber correctly, being just across the valley when the rock fall happened and chatting with the SAR guy, the dog wasn't hurt, although a rock landed on his leash and broke it. Granted this could be second hand so who knows. Thank god nobody was killed.

anachronism wrote:

Run Dog, Run!

That rules. Wish the dog could tell the story. A true epic coming from a four legged creature with no thumbs!

doG is my co-pilot.

Maybe it would go like this...

"There I was, just kicking back and licking my ass clean. Was a beautiful day and a beautiful place to do it. The hotdogs from the night before were catching up to me. I had to go but master didn't give me the chance. It was a blessing in disguise, really. Then I heard it. I stopped my cleaning chores to look up and see chunks of granitodiorite heading my way. I ran left - *choke*. I ran right - *choke*. I tried to remove my collar. The joke of not having thumbs was no longer funny! Figured the great doG in the sky was taking me. Doggie time up! BUT no! I moved just in time to miss being hit by a large flake. It choked me again as it cut my leash. I ran, dodged, and ran again around falling flakes. Couldn't decide if I should drop my hotdog load or keep running. Turned out I did both at the same time! What a mess. But it's all good now. I bailed down to curry, nabbed a hamburger that Minerals was about to eat (he wasn't looking) and kept going! Well, that was a mistake - he likes 'em rare and I got the hotdog treatment all over again the next day. Good times in the end - and what a story to tell my grandpups!"

Tim - I agree we should be focused on the people too if they were hurt. From the posts on the supertaco site written by one of the two guys at the base that were supposedly hurt, it doesn't sound like they had more than scrapes. They were lucky. And so was the dog.

anachronism wrote:
Run Dog, Run!

That rules. Wish the dog could tell the story. A true epic coming from a four legged creature with no thumbs!

doG is my co-pilot.

Maybe it would go like this...

"There I was, just kicking back and licking my ass clean. Was a beautiful day and a beautiful place to do it. The hotdogs from the night before were catching up to me. I had to go but master didn't give me the chance. It was a blessing in disguise, really. Then I heard it. I stopped my cleaning chores to look up and see chunks of granitodiorite heading my way. I ran left - *choke*. I ran right - *choke*. I tried to remove my collar. The joke of not having thumbs was no longer funny! Figured the great doG in the sky was taking me. Doggie time up! BUT no! I moved just in time to miss being hit by a large flake. It choked me again as it cut my leash. I ran, dodged, and ran again around falling flakes. Couldn't decide if I should drop my hotdog load or keep running. Turned out I did both at the same time! What a mess. But it's all good now. I bailed down to curry, nabbed a hamburger that Minerals was about to eat (he wasn't looking) and kept going! Well, that was a mistake - he likes 'em rare and I got the hotdog treatment all over again the next day. Good times in the end - and what a story to tell my grandpups!"

Thats way funny! grin.gif

Did the dawg that got hit get airlifted to a vet hospital in Fresno?

I saw 2 airlifts while I was there. Also talked to Mark, the head ranger as he was posting the Pergrine closure sign on Super Slab/Slide (we had just rapped down and were done thankfully), thay had had 3 major incidents that month, NONE related to climbing except the guy who shimmied up the wooden electric pole right off 4 mile trail and got electrocuted to death. Turns out he was wearing climbing shoes. No one knew why he climbed the electrical pole.

The good news is that the Peregrines moved off of El Cap and haven't returned. Captians open all routes.