Ruckle ridge

sketchfest

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it! wink.gif

From the west, take Exit 41 off of I84, turn right and park in front of the stone restroom building.

Walk east up the road for 75 yards to a sign on your left identifying the Gorge Trail #400. Climb and then walk along the edge of the campground to a fork. For ruckel ridge, turn right at the fork continue past more camp areas and begin climbing from site #5. After going under the power lines and reentering woods, stay right, descend slightly and come to a large talus slope. traverse across for a few hundred feet and then be watching for a path that goes up to the left over the rocks. Aim for the little crest below the end of the cliff and follow it up to the bottom of the sheer face. Turn left, follow along the base of the wall and then begin climbing very steeply on a well-defined use path. At 2.5mi you can circumvent a very exposed catwalk by traversing below the crest on the west side. About .3mi farther drop to a saddle and then begin the final mile of steep uphill to the junction with the Ruckle Creek trail a short distance beyond the easy ford of Ruckle Creek. Turn left at the junction with the ruckle creek trail and begin winding downhill back to the trailhead.

And remember... "Ruckel Ridge seems to be a magnet for people who grossly overestimate their hiking skills."

yellaf.gif (Nothing against you, Sketchfest, I just thought it was funny!)

-I got this from the Columbia Gorge Hikes book by Don and Roberta Lowe.

I've done it a couple of times. It's a nice hike, less traveled than some of the other gorge rim hikes. It's featured in 100 hikes in NW Oregon - good hiking guidebook if you don't have it.

I don't remeber anything particularly "exposed" - most such spots have been bypassed.

I'm not Sketch but have done the hike lots of times.

If is a really nice one. On the way up, lots of ridge hiking, which I like. Couple of places - one with the awe inspiring name of the "cat walk" - are even 3rd class with a little exposurure. No crowds, somewhat off the beaten path.

Long hard grind up to the Bensen plateau that is great for conditioning. Once on the plateau, cross a little creek and angle NW a couple hundred yards to you cross the Ruckel creek trail and do it as a loop. Better views and quicker going coming down the Ruckel Creek side.