Ski-to-Sea, no tele/AT rule ... wazzup?

Bluff

Can somebody please explain the logic behind this incredibly lame rule? I can sort of understand the no-skins rule due to unfair advantage over locked heelers and slowboarders, but if you dont have skins, I dont see how there is any significant difference. What about AT boots in DH bindings? I guess if AT boots are out too, then the next best thing would be a set of old Raichles with thermofits in em... But really, especially given the fact that so many people nowadays don't bother with alpine at all, this rule is pretty exclusive. If it's really that much of an issue they should just skip the climb and use the chairlift. Stoopid.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is behind the times but "that's the rules." Seem to recall the guys out in front had found some old-school, slim-line alpine boots from way, way back, thus giving an advantage in terms of lighter weight. But that part of the relay is kinda weird in general: just a straight climb up the hill inside the ski area and then a run down the cat track. Not the "status" leg of the race at all.

Ski-to-Sea is just not a race to be taken seriously. I personally think that there are many more worthwhile and more fulfilling outdoor activities one can do with his/her memorial day weekend. If they started the race with a ski/snowboard mountaineering ascent of Mt. Baker, it would be a lot more interesting. But then somebody would fall (or be pushed) into a crevasse.

I wouldn't be surprised if they said- if you want to use tele, go do the cross-country leg... besides it's in the ski area, maybe its retribution for all you damn BC skiers sucking away their profits!! yellaf.gif

And the "mountain biking" leg? yellaf.gif They ought to switch its location with the running leg, put some good downhill trails in. I know the runners would appreciate it.

And ban kayak leg closure due to pusses in surf skis who can't handle some choppy water. That almost happened when I did that leg. Damn whiny uber yuppies on their lake-racing toothpicks, with their fancy spoon paddles. punks. madgo_ron.gif

If they started the race with a ski/snowboard mountaineering ascent of Mt. Baker, it would be a lot more interesting. But then somebody would fall (or be pushed) into a crevasse.

It is my understanding that the original ski-to-sea DID start at the summit of Baker and WAS changed due to a crevasse fall or something...

unless your team is in the top 25, I doubt race authorities will care, or even look at your boots. Last year I was cursing the very few assholes in AT boots shaving 3 lbs, but if I were to do it again, I'd do the same probably. But then, I'm not doing it again. It's not a great leg of the race, especially i if the conditions are lousy. Last year it was a misty whiteout at the top of pan dome.

And ban kayak leg closure due to pusses in surf skis who can't handle some choppy water. That almost happened when I did that leg. Damn whiny uber yuppies on their lake-racing toothpicks, with their fancy spoon paddles. punks. madgo_ron.gif

Word to that. I haven't done this race much but there was always a buzz that they might have to shut down the kayak leg. Some old timers said they threaten that every year. I say screw the surf skis too. Might as well have the race in a pool if they won't run it with a few whitecaps.

I have a pair of light rear entry boots I picked up for $3.50 at a garage sale. I was keeping for the Bend Pole Pedal Paddle race. Three time Olympic cross country skier Justin Wadsworth borrowed them for Sea to Ski. Anyone can find a piece of crap ski boot, but AT boots are expensive.

I guess the point is ... if the race is not to be taken seriously, why bother with such a lame rule? AT boots are generally expensive, but there are certainly cheap ones out there. Tele boots, gawd.. the first pair I had (which I still use on occasion) came out of a dumpster, and many newer 3 buckle tele boots are as heavy or heavier than alpines ... and they certainly don't make you go faster on the downs.