Devil's Lake/South Sister access?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if Highway 46 (Cascade Lakes Highway) is open to Devil's Lake yet?

TIA-

L

I'm surprised none of the Bend crew has responded to this, but I'll take a stab at it and if I'm wrong, hopefully one of them will kindly correct me.

It says (somewhere, I seem to have a hard time finsing it again) on the Deschutes NF web site that they have begun plowing from the other end of Cascade Lakes Hwy and the road to Elk Lake should be open by the 19th(?). The strecth from Bachelor (past Devils Lake) to Elk lake is scheduled to open Memorial Day Weekend. I hope that helps and that some (more knowledgable) person steps up to correct me if I'm wrong! snaf.gif

As of today, Sunday 5/9 Devil's lake is still closed. ODOT is plowing from the South end of cascade lakes hwy, noth and east. They expect the hwy to be open by Memorial day weekend, as always. Very little parking access is plowed. Usually Devils lake, Green lakes TH etc are not available for parking.

There is still a lot of snow up there. Today the conditions were perfect! did not summit due to white out. The first two miles range from no snow to intermintent snow. When you cross soap creek it is all snow, great for making a straight line to where ever you want to go. The steeper routes look great due to the amount of snow on them. enjoy.