Anyone got a name for this place.

Blakej

I was browsing my mapping program checking out some future climbs and noticed this alpine area between chimney and christie that looked interesting. Anyone explored the area does it have a name or know if its less appealing than it looks. Nothing in the climbing guide that I could find.5095TOPO_map-med.BMP

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some information (some courtesy of Dr. Roper):

Mt. Delabarre is named after a Port Angeles banker. W.R. Delabarre bankrolled the 1907 Mountaineers party that visited the area. This was the Mountaineers party that made the first ascent of Mt. Olympus (Cook's falsity doesn't count).

Delabarre is actually listed in my Olympics Climber's Guide (p. 194 in the 3rd Edition). The guide gives a parenthetical second name of Mt. Taylor. Two routes are listed, neither being harder than Class 3.

Mt. Delabarre is the peak with the greatest prominence on the Chimney Peak Quad. Chimney Peak is the peak with the greatest elevation (6,917 ft).

They don't because the name "Mt. Delabarre" is unofficial. It could be "officially" named Mt. Blake in the future. You never know.

fruit.gif

Lots of unofficial names (to the USGS) are taken as official to the climbing community. You could click on any quad on this map. Any peak listed with an asterick is an unofficial name. Here are some examples for you for peaks the climbing community would probably take as official: Kololo Peaks south of Glacier Peak, Courtney Peak in the Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness, and Devils Tongue by Mt. Spickard.

Interesting...gotta wonder why no offical names for what seems to be a fairly significant peak compared to some. Saving them for future presidents? Don't suppose you know if the hike is worth the scramble on Mt Delabarre. I'm looking to do anderson at the end of the month but dont know if I'll have a partner but I'd atleast like to get a good look at it.

I've been up Taylor before. We call it taylor. The creek flowing north into the Elwha is delabarre creek. We followed the ridge from Martins park over the top, and on to the pass between rustler and godkin. I think this pass is called bretherton pass, but alzhiemers is taking over I fear. The traverse was fun, but really slow, and tended to get cliffy. A second time, we went from martins park along the ridge, then dropped all the way to the rustler creek, and turned left and followed it up to bretherton pass. The rustler is really easy walking, and although you have to drop down a long steep wooded mountain side, it was far faster that climbing over Taylor. We exited out by dropping into the headwaters of the godkin, although our initial goal was to hit Chimney. This is a really remote area of the Olympics. Probably dead center, and you need a long time to be able to do it. You could access it from the pyrites trail off of the quinault east fork. The trail is about useless though, and present in theory only. So yes, people have been to Taylor, and it is a great spot on the OP. Go there.