[TR] Mt Baker- Heliotrope 5/1/2004

eternalX

Climb: Mt Baker-Heliotrope

Date of Climb: 5/1/2004

Trip Report:

Went up to Glacier on Saturday for the last weekend at our winter trailer. After stopping by the ski ship to rent a split board and get a little advice, we made it to the last good place to park at about noon (late start). Hiked and skinned about a mile to the restrooms. Took off the board and proceeded to enter the forest behind the bathroom, climbing southeast to the creek. Crossed the creek and started skinning up the ridge.

Snow was VERY soft and skins had a bit of a hard time getting any traction. Once we reached the moraine on the east side, we jumped on it hoping to hike up a bit. Proved harder with more wind. We had a dog along and she was about out of juice so two of us stopped at maybe 5500 to let her rest. Three other continued to the top of the ridge line, making it about 1.25 hours later. We skied/boarded down the slush fest and made it back to the car by 5.

Was fun but really soft.

On another note, there were a ton of cars where we parked but we only encountered a few people on the route. I'm guessing others were up to climb and stay at the summit.

Gear Notes:

split board and skins. I brought my new BD pack acquired at the PF sale, forgetting that it didn't have a board strap madgo_ron.gif

Approach Notes:

The approach is only going to get harder as the snowbridges over the creek conitnue to melt out. We had to park about a mile short of the restrooms.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The approach is only going to get harder as the snowbridges over the creek conitnue to melt out.

How long do you think they'll last? I'm planning to head down there at the end of the month, and was hoping I'd be able to ski up the same way you did.