[TR] South Early Winter Spire- Southwest Couloir 4/24/2004

gomek

Climb: South Early Winter Spire-Southwest Couloir

Date of Climb: 4/24/2004

Trip Report:

Please be kind this is my first post / TR.

My friend Shane and I left Seattle Friday night around 8pm planning a ski / climb of Silver Star. We found a nice spot at mile marker 167 where we were able car camp. The route we had planned was Silver Creek but the route description we had was for Burgandy Col. The route from mile post 166 had very little snow so we tried to come up with an alternative.

We headed over to the Blue Lake TH and decided to try the SW Couloir on S Early.

It was right at freezing when we started skinning up. About an centimeter or two of snow had fallen the night before. We were able to Skin up to a tree at the base of the climb. We had some lunch, roped up, and started up. While we were eating a fellow named robert stopped by. He decided to head up with us. After a couple hundred feet I decided to set a picket. At this point Robert decided to head back down. The snow was still quite hard in some places and no steps had been kicked in. We ran a few belays before reaching the top of the couloir. We unroped for the rock scramble to the top.

-Jason

Pictures and more info

http://www.jasonconnell.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album72&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Gear Notes:

Had: 30 meter rope, 2 pickets and slings.

Shoulda had: longer rope for Rapp

Approach Notes:

Snow down to the parking lot. Was able to Skin up to the base of the route.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic