Tool Dip on Wired Widgets

catbirdseat

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But they also have a different geometry.

I have tried to make reapirs easier on myself by just cutting the stiff wire above the swage and making on a new cable, but it usually won't work.

I think I have something like 50% BD cams to repair. But when you consider how many are out there, that's maybe not such a bad record???

I do like your idea of tool dip. I have also heard of a little heatshrink over the swage when rebuilding them. Only problem there is you can't inspect them.

CBS, I think there is something to be said for your idea to. I think you can swage those materials, but I am not sure.

Hmmm...

I have not really messed with the wire length too much, as I have just started to dip them and found the results so far promising. I am sure you know how it is sitting around drinking with friends "brain" storming on neat little ideas.

What I had in mind was Vectran single braid. I've used this for mainsail halyards on small boats and it is incredibly strong and low stretch.

Smallest size is 1/8", which is still a rather large diameter, which is why I say maybe it could work on larger cams. Reference.

Tensile strength is 1,900 lbs. hellno3d.gif

Specs

Splicing probably wouldn't be the way to go because the eys splice is way too long. On the other hand, this stuff could be used on flukes.

Edited by catbirdseat

Do NOT cut the spring steel when you reswage the new trigger assembly together.

take your C-7's(wire rope cutters) and chew the old swage off. then reattach the new trigger wires on.

CBS, the trigger is non loadbearing, so the breaking strength of trigger wire is a non issue.

some 1/16" 7x19 ought to do the trick

My buddy had a #4 that had a cord trigger, the original trigger got mangled when it fell off El cap...

that #4 was his only cam and we brought it every climb, just in case.

Edited by lancegranite

Do NOT cut the spring steel when you reswage the new trigger assembly together. take your C-7's and chew the old swage off. then reattach the new trigger wires on.

CBS, the trigger is non loadbearing, so the breaking strength of trigger wire is a non issue.

some 1/16" 7x19 ought to do the trick.

I am aware of that. I just thought it was rather amazing that such a skinny rope could be so strong. For trigger wires, smaller is better and you find that in 7x19 stainless cable.