Tahoe or Biship in Early May?

dt_3pin

My wife and I will be down in the Tahoe area in early May to visit family. We were planning on taking 5-6 days to do some casual cragging, bouldering, camping, and plenty of lounging. Our initial plan was to spend the week checking out tahoe... sugarloaf, truckee, etc. However, it looks like it might still be snowy and cold. Anyone climbed in the Tahoe area this time of year? Camping recommendations?

Our other option is heading down to Bishop... plenty of bouldering, bolt-clipping, and hot-springing. Any recommendations for camping in the Bishop area?

Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back to where I live (Tahoe) a few hours ago, from Bishop, where I spent the last week. I'm looking out my window at the lake and am seeing whitecaps. It snowed from just North of Bishop all the way up 395 to Walker. Even with the weather funky in Bishop we were able to clip bolts in "The Gorge" and boulder just about anywhere we wanted every day. We had to stick to the sunny spots when the wind was up but were still able to climb in tanktops and shorts. Got to try out my new Franklin Mondo pad. Sucker is 6" thick and BIG.

It can do anything this time of year. Typically around here (Tahoe) in May, it's beautiful. There will still be snow at Donner Summit but it's been a low snow Spring so things should be dry. Sugarloaf is several thousand feet lower then Tahoe and is typically warm even when it's cold at the lake.

May in Bishop can sometimes be way too hot. Pick up the Gorge guide which mentions several campgrounds.

Plan on good weather and having fun...

I spent much of the winter in the Truckee area this year and was blown away by all the options... yes, there will still be some snow on the (short) approaches to the climbs at Donner Summit. But, I climbed there in February. The combination of clear skies and endless sunshine makes the rock warm, and there really are a lot of routes on great rock. Additionally, there is a small area along I-80 halfway between Reno and Truckee called River Rock. Not a lot of routes, but they run the full range (5.7-5.11), the rock is great, the routes are interesting, there is zero snow, and it heats up. Great place for a half-day, or even a whole day.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't want to do multi-pitch routes, 90-foot wall is a nice option for top roping, and there are plenty of options. Park along the highway by Emerald Bay. If you pull into the trailhead lot, you will have to pay. It's about a 15 minute walk to base of rock. Ideal top roping.

Camping at Nevada Beach could be all right this time of year, which would put you close to Spooner Crag on the way to Carson City. Again, nice top roping routes, mostly 5.10 stuff and higher. That crag is empty most times.

If you head south toward Bishop, check out Buckeye hot springs in Bridgeport. Better than travertine.