A tame question...

sarahlouisa

My dad is visiting on Monday-he used to climb but now likes trails. I’m looking for something within a couple hours of Seattle with some nice elevation gain but not much snow. Would rather not drag him up Si or Mailbox…any ideas? Sorry for the non-climbing nature of this question. Any ideas would be appreciated!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hiked up Fourth of July Creek in Leavenworth a couple weeks ago. Apart from walking through the old burn, it's a nice trail, good elevation gain, and awesome views into the Stuart Range if you get up high enough. It's south facing and was melted out up to about 4500' then, so it's probably higher now. anything south facing is definately a good bet for being relatively snow free.

Rattlesnake Mountain in North Bend. Really a great trail to the 'Ledge', a nice view point (1.5 miles, 1100') then a more adventurous trail and a bit of road to the summit (4 miles, 2500' total.) There was snow at the top a couple of weeks ago, but I bet with the hot weather most of it has melted.

I also really enjoyed Bare Mountain (Bear Mtn?) to the North of Mt Si. I did it years ago, but I remember driving through North Bend to get to it. There used to be a look out on top. I'm sure it is in a hiking book somewhere.