Midway, Castle Rock

mattp

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Fred Rogers once said - whatever sendbot !!

fwiw, midway was my first multi pitch trad lead, in fact the first pitch of midway was my second trad pitch ever, and I was climbing with a partner who had never been climbing before shocked.gif midway _is_ a great beginner climb, and the better alternative to saber - the first pitch of that thing scared the hell out of me, 5.4 my ass !!

Edited by jja

Ha! about Saber that is awesome jja! I recently took a friend to Castle. After seconding Midway/direct I gave him a quick crash course in placing gear (based off what he observed from my gear on Midway). He then took off and lead the first pitch of Saber. He did a great job finding his way to the ledge and the belay went off without a problem. I was surprised Saber was rated 5.4 as well. Nevertheless, I'd have to say Midway and Saber are both "beginner" routes. fwiw..."Beginner" does not mean 'first time climber'.

Part of the difference is that most of us "back in the day" got into climbing with a backpacking background, and it grew as an extension of mountain exploration rather than an extension of gym climbing.

Haven't been around long enough to talk about back in the day, but bigdrink.gif