Big fat flakes!!!

skykilo

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything's coated with a few inches of white this morning. It's a nice place, with a little ski area four miles up the road, rock climbing essentially in town, and possibly ice climbing on the north sides of the canyons in the winter. I definitely prefer the northwest, though.

Pajarito was open this year, but in general it only operates three days a week even when it is open. It is not open now, but there was plenty of fresh up there. The area has a little more than 1,000 vertical feet. Unfortunately, I was too busy to take advantage of that.

Santa Fe Ski Area opens every year with its 10,350 foot base elevation, it's fun, and it's maybe an hour and a half away.

Taos Ski Valley kicks major ass, doesn't allow snowboarders, and is less than two hours of driving.

Another nearby attraction, where you can find malt liquor, prostitutes, and the per capita heroin use capitol of the US, is the charming town of Espanola.

The high desert is really beautiful with snow. On my way to the Albuquerque airport yesterday, I stopped at a coffee shop in Santa Fe. I said, "I would like a cup of coffee."

"We don't have drip. I can make you an Americano."

"Only in Santa Fe, eh? I'll have a double espresso."

With my stimulant in hand, I observed a bulletin board. There were three pictures with the title above, 'Our wonderful and talented baristas.' I did not recognize the present help, so I asked, "Where's your picture?"

"I just started."

"Good, I'm glad they didn't decide you aren't wonderful and talented."

Driving a rental car down the freeway through the desert like a bat out of hell, rocking out with the volume way too high, admiring the sunbreaks and the fresh snow on the foothills above the desert, blood saturated with caffeine, I was both at peace with the journey and happy to end my sojourn and return to Seattle.

It's good to be back. Let's rip it up, fellas.