Glacier Pk access

Timcb

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about Glacier Peak and a friend said he took this route awhile back.:

"Hike the White River trail (above Lake Wenatchee) all the way to White Pass, which we approached from the west up the N. Fork Sauk River. From there you can hike a well-used trail north toward the mountain. It peters out near the ridge with views of GP to the north. You can climb from there, but it's a long day. You can even avoid glacier by staying on the ridge over Disappointment Peak. That would likely be easier on snow, so a fairly early assault might be preferable, as in early July."

Anyone else gone that way? Whaddya think?

Dean

I've been in there at this time of year before, but I don't think this will be the year.

The Whitechuck Trail was heavily damaged by the Whitechuck River and Kennedy Creek. Many sections of the trail above Fire Creek have slumped into the river. It appears likely that the entire trail will need to be relocated. The area around Kennedy Hot Springs was buried in debris from high flows on the Whitechuck River and Kennedy Creek. The bridges over Kennedy Creek and the Whitechuck River, the backcountry camp, Kennedy Cabin, and the Hot Springs were destroyed in the event. Those interested in climbing Glacier Peak next summer will need to consider approaching via the North Fork Sauk Trail. In addition, the Whitechuck Road is washed out about 9 miles below the Whitechuck Trailhead.

Mt. Baker/Snoqualmie NF, November 14, 2003

Are they talking about the lower bridge, about 1 mile from the TH? The "bridge" just before you reach the cabin was just a log with a makeshift railing, which was falling down anyway, and the creek was easy to cross elsewhere.

I'm sure any new trail will feature 287 new switchbacks and add five miles to the five mile hike to Kennedy...

I don't have a map in front of me, the approach toward Glacier from the south works - its just long. I haven't hiked up the white river valley all the way, though looking down into it from the top of the valley on the PCT it looked as though the trail wasn't maintained at all. You can start up Meander Meadow and meet the PCT and head north (passing the end of the White River Valley) and then make your way up the mountain from the south via Disapointment Peak.

Going in from the white river is gorgeous. You only have to skin 4 miles (maybe less now) from the tall timber ranch to the white river trailhead. It's a long flat ways in after that until you start climbing up and over the pass. That area around there (indian head peak, white and red passes, etc.) is very cool. You can then drop down into glacier peak meadows and climb the peak from the south side. I suppose you could also get over to the sitkum with even more approaching, but I wouldn't see the point; anything would be more interestin than the sitkum. It'll take a while, but if you are up for a long, interesting approach, I think you'd love it.

My advice? If you aren't set on glacier peak, skip it and head up the white river and do clarke mountain and the other peaks on it's ridge (I forget the names) to tenpeak mountain. From there ski down thunder creek and back to the white river trail.

I've had my eye on this for a while. Let me know if you need a partner.