[TR] Smiff- Wartleys, Overboard, Morning Star, Heresy, et al 3/19/2004

Alpinfox

Climb: Smiff-Wartleys, Overboard, Morning Star, Heresy, et al

Date of Climb: 3/19/2004

Trip Report:

YO YO YO!!!

MisterE and I managed to herd a couple of cats (Yos and GaperJeff) into the MisterE Van and rolled on South for a little Tuff Lovin' over a long weekend.

Got down to Smiffy late on Thursday night so we could get an early start on MisterE's ultra-cool, ultra-secret, hush-hush new project. He cleaned it a bit and we each TR'd on it a bit and did some cleaning, but some gaper's were upset that we were dropping shit on their 5.9 wonder-climb, so we decided to cease and desist. Should be a good climb when it's finished though.

We climbed some good schtuff, including "Overboard" which was one of my harder leads at Smith:

1826Smiff_011-med.jpg

MisterE must have been bored with the rock climbing at this point, because he climbed up this tree and we had a hell of a time getting him down.

1826Smiff_010-med.jpg

I don't know why he climbed up there. Maybe he was on drugs or something.

He eventually collected himself enough to lead "Wartley's Revenge" by placing four pieces of pro and carrying a cooler full of beer to the anchors. He's got that climb wired. The promise of beer at the top was enough to motivate Yos to get up there in fine style:

1826Smiff_025-med.jpg

On Sunday Yos, GaperJeff, and I headed down to the gorge while MisterE went in search of unclimbed prana babes and tuff. I led "Morning Star" which thouroughly kicked my ass, and still felt hard even when I did it on TR. It's got lots of sharp, thin finger locks that you DO NOT want to fall on. It also has a really cool engraving in the basalt at the base of the climb:

1826Smiff_037cropped-med.jpg

We headed home early on Sunday and entered some kind of worm hole, making it from Smiff to Seattle in just over 5hrs!!! WTF!?!?!

I guess those portals in space/time open up for homies that be representin'

1826Smiff_045-med.jpg

Thanks to MisterE for the driving & evening's entertainment; thanks to GaperJeff and Yos for the rockin' company, great photos, and for putting up with the wiggers.

Gear Notes:

A laptop with DVD player in a VW vanagon = mobile cinema! cool.gif

Approach Notes:

Yeah. Lots of snow.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic