Avalanche report proposal

chris

I just finished an English paper regarding avalanche incidences in Washington, and my research brought to light an interesting fact. confused.gif

There's no place on the web with a comprehensive avalanche reporting system. wazzup.gif

Sure, at NWAC there are accident reports. But its limited to accidents that required public emergency services. Friends of NWAC specifically ask that TR not be posted - and a near miss avalanche would sound a lot like a TR. Right here, I found one report, from Know_Fear, about a near miss. That's it. I can't help but believe there are more (hell, danielpatricksmith and I had one on Red Mountain last spring).

What I'd like to propose is an Avalanche Report form to the Powers That Be, that can be entered like a TR and automatically posted in the freshiezone. It could be formed to report avalanches witnessed, or avalanche near misses, or avalanche incidences. cool.gif

What do you think?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mtnfreak-

I have thought the same thing myself. I was hoping to build a reporting type system for cc here, but wasn't sure how much it would be used. My idea was to make a structured form (much like the Trip Report application), that would make avvy reports a bit more structured, and searchable than say this message board.

My thought was that people could post near misses, as well as data/info they have collected while digging pits or traveling in the backcountry.

I think nw avy center is on the right track with their blog idea, but its just like a message board where stuff really isn't structured and info isn't very easy to search in there.

But honestly how many folks would take the time to post snow conditions they have found on a trip?

I just finished an English paper regarding avalanche incidences in Washington, and my research brought to light an interesting fact.

There's no place on the web with a comprehensive avalanche reporting system.

CyberSpace Avalanche Center (CSAC) has a reporting system for incidents involving injuries and fatalities. Comprehensive, no. International, definitley.

Turns All Year is a PNW based resource for trip reports with information on snopack, surface conditions, pit analysis and other useful information. No spray!

If you would like to be part of a solution to the lack of useful information, consider taking Levels II and III Avalanche Forecasting courses and start reporting. cool.gif

Timmy, I'd like to help form a standard avalanche near miss and incident report form for events that don't require public emergency assistance.

I think that NWAC does a great job reporting avalanche incidences resulting in fatalities and public rescue services. Friends of Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center have an excellent site to report snow condition reports.

But I think that Cascade Climbers would be the best place to report avalanche incidences, especially near misses, such as what Know_Fear reported. A standardized, easy to use form could help.

Skip, I just finished my Level III and reported it here. Thanks for the advice.