[TR] Mt St Helens- Worm Flows 2/28/2004

scot'teryx

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure what it was all about.

I parked on the side near the cabin and some snowmobilers told me I had to move because they had friends coming with more snowmobiles. I told them I would not move because I purchased a snow park pass like evryone else. He said "suit yourself". Then a friend told me that he overheard that some snowmobilers vandalize skier cars if they park in the upper parking lot. Then a forest ranger came by and told me I had to move. I told him that I always parked there every year, and he said it has always been the rules.

Isn't that upper lot the easiest access to the swift ski trail? Why would they make the skiers park further away than the people with the motorized vehicles?

Now I am curious what my ticket would be if I had not moved?

Ticket for parking in a lot that I paid a permit for?

When we were up there a few weeks ago parking in the lower lot the ranger came by and thanked us for parking down there. Said they try to seperate the 2 user groups (which is fine by me). Bilers can't park in the lower lot and when their upper lot gets full they have to park further down the road. I imagine the bilers get the upper lot for a variety of reasons listed above and because they can more quickly get their rigs onto the snow and off the pavement, its larger, has a turn around, etc. Who in their right mind would want to park up there with the bilers anyway? I don't even like walking through it. The lower lot is an extra 2 minute walk, give me a break.

Now on the other hand, if you really need to save the 50 yards and love the smell of the exhaust and just generally feel the need to fratenize with those ass clowns, then I see no legal reason why you couldn't park there.

IMO, its not worth. Save your energy for fighting something else and park in the lower lot. If you recieved a ticket, thats a different story, fight it to the end. But if you're just pissed cause you can't park there, I doubt you'll have much luck changing the 'rules'.

FWIW, I think the rangers feel the same way about the bilers that we do, at least the one I talked to did. They are just trying to 'keep the peace'.