Da Kine Guide

eternalX

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased one last fall to replace a Cirque Works board pack that I had been extremely happy with, I now like the Guide even more. Every aspect of the pack is well thought out, from the back panel access (essential when carrying a board or skis) to the probe and shovel pockets. The suspension system carrys well without loss of mobility while riding. I purchased it with the thought of carrying it as an overnight pack but after using it, carry it as my primary winter "touring" (hate the word, I'm a snowboarderfruit.gif) pack. It might be a tad big at times but cinches down easily enough to carry well. You might consider the Chute if you're a skier and the Guide is a bit big. The only negative thing I can think of about the Guide is I did tear off one of the load adjusting buckles on the shovel blade pocket but I was on a snowmobile and pretty sure I caught it on a tree limb or something...cantfocus.gif I'll send it back to be repaired after the season is over. I highly recommend the pack for the $.

bigdrink.gif

Does the pack limit the range of motion for your head? By that I mean, when tilting your head back is your head impeded by the top of the pack? I currently ride with a Heli-Pro and it is the first pack I have ridden with that does not limit range of motion. I did wear a larger Burton pack while riding a sled once and it was particularly bothersome. I was acutely aware of the problem as the back of my helmet kept hitting the top of the pack.

No not at all. No interference while riding the board or with helmet on the machine. The top lid folds far enough down the "face" of the pack not to restrict motion what-so-ever; even fully loaded. I have noticed it's necessary to tuck the end of the shovel handle under the top lid to hold it snug. Otherwise it rotates around and has been bothersome/potentially dangerous, particularly on the snowmachine.

It is obvious to me the designers of DaKine's packs truly use them for their intended purposes.

A frequent BC partner of mine skis with the Heli-pro and loves it as well.

bigdrink.gif

I second the positive review...

Have it, love it. I was hesitant, 'cause I was afraid it wasn't made by a pack-specific company, but I love it.

Works great for BC boarding, would work great for skiing as well. the way that the top is set up keeps it out of the way and also lets you cinch the pack way down or expand it mightily. I also use it for climbing - accessing gear thru the back panel is waaay handy.

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent pack. As a matter of fact, the best pack I've seen for BC skiing. I like packs that have a nice cozy spot for everything, and the DaKines excel at that. Great shovel pocket that will also fit your skins but not much more, someplace handy to put your shovel shaft and probe, bladder pocket and other internal pockets to organize things a bit. The pack access is awesome, I can't tell you how many people gape at it when I open up the entire backside to find something without digging around.

Only minus is the 'map' pocket underneath the lid is a complete waste, never used it, and it's not the lightest pack in the world, though that's not a big concern of mine for a day pack. It carries a load very well.

FooMan