Easy Ice near Whistler??

Dustin_B

Is there any easy ice climbing within 1.5 - 2 hour drive of Whistler? We're new to ice climbing so looking for WI 2-3 for leading or TR something harder. Short pitches are fine. Prefer short approach, only have one day. (I realize any ice that fits this description will probably be crowded). Any good books for the area with this kind of beta (beginner stuff)? Looking for specific routes/walls that are "in" that fit this description. How close is Lillooet to Whistler? I'm guessing that's our best chance.

Thanks in advance,

Dustin

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nearly as much ice near Whistler as near Lillooet.

Your best bets are: single pitch: the Moaning Tree Wall at Cal Chek 10 minutes S of Whistler has up to 7 1/2 pitch lines from WI2 to WI4

Entropy at Soo Bluffs 15 min north of Whistler is a good 2-3 pitch WI3. Gets sun, can be a bit rotten.

Other than that drive up the d'arcy road where there is a lot of ice, plenty of WI2 and 3, all or mostly visible from road.

29 Forever and Another Day at the Office are easy lines right on Blackcomb Mtn.

wave.gif

i am not "the author". "the author" apparently wishes to remain anonymous yellaf.gif You can distinguish between us because I am much taller than "the author" bigdrink.giftongue.gif

if you drive to mt currie and instead of going right to lillooet oin the duffy lake road, continue going north on the road to d'arcy, anderson lake, birkenhead lake and points beyond - that's the d'arcy road.

Edited by Dru