The Mystery of the Comb

Peter_Puget

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Comb has some of the best 3-4 pitch 5.10 climbs at Darrington and the hike up to it is quite nice as well, with lots of ferns and wildflowers, and some very impressive big trees. With the exception of "Baloney Dome," it is probably the shortest access hike of any of the Darrington crags listed in Dave's new book.

The Comb has been somewhat neglected, though, because the base area is rather steep and unfriendly and the access routes were never widely known. If you try to thrash over there from Three O'Clock Rock, as I believe is suggested in Smoot, you will be sorry.

While the place is a little scrappy even by Darrington standards, routes like The Troll, Over the Rainbow, Tongue in Cheek, etc. are WAY good, though they start with some funky scrambling or a short bit of vertical bushwacking. David Gunstone's climbs are quite good, too, though they have some odd climbing and funk between the good stuff. There is one very spectacular and steep arete climb that looks as if it is probably quite hard and somebody once said their friend thought somebody's cousin put it up and it was 5.12 - I can't remember whether it is listed in Dave's guide but it is to the left of the climb called "Annihilator" and to the right of Skykrider.

For a cragging experience, it is a good place because you can easily do three or four climbs in a day and get in quite a few pitches - but be prepared for some bush. Do not; I repeat - DO NOT - try to go there with the old Washington Rock Climbs guide or even the Traveller's Guide. You need Dave's new book for The Comb. thumbs_up.gif

looking to climb at D-town this summer. I've lived in WA for 3 years and haven't found a climbing partner yet. I have climbed at Darrington several times, but haven't done any of the really big routes yet. I need!!! a climbing partner for this summer. I lead 5.9 trad in relative comfort (I don't climb as much as I would like or used to) and have done a lot of aid, can follow anything you put up. Looking for someone to do Dreamer, blueberry, Combs routes, etc. May be Solaris too. PM me or email at jasonshappart2001@yahoo.com