Cathedral peak access

pu

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pu, you don't give any criteria for what you consider the "best", but here are 3 options that I have personally tried. i went on a backpacking trip in the pasaytan this fall with my wife, it reminded me what an amazing area it is. we saw 4 people in 5 days! FWIW, next time I go in there to climb, i will probably choose the long-but-flat option 2.

shortest: ashnola river road approach, i think it's 8 miles to lower cathedral lake, the first couple on a good trail. we drove from seattle on our first day, so we started pretty late, like 1 pm. hiked for ~1.5 hours, left the trail and bushwacked 'til about 7 pm. the next morning, we got up to lower cathedral lake around noon, it's good trail from there to cathedral pass, about another 1.5 hours. most of the off trail travel is ok, but there's a lot of lodgepole pine forest that makes you feel like you've been sent to hurdler's hell. with an early start from the car, you could definately do this in one day. BONUS: no horses on this approach

easiest: drive way, way around through omak and parts north and zip in along the boundary trail from the east. after a short grind up to sunny pass, you are traversing relatively flat ridgelines above treeline for many miles. I think this is the longest distance (around 18 or 20 miles, IIRC), but it goes very fast due to the amazing scenery and modest elevation gain. i know people who have done this in a single day with light packs; as a 2-day backpack it is quite mellow. BONUS: best scenery, but lots of rednecks on horseback in summer.

some of both: from north of winthrop, follow the chewich river trail to remmel lake (~11 or 12 miles), then cut cross country from the lake, over the shoulder of amphitheater mountain directly to cathedral pass. (you can stay on the trail, too, via cathedral lakes, but the x-country route is beautiful and easy). There are a variety of different trailheads you can start from; starting from the east side (windy creek) cuts off some distance, but since you have to drop down into the Chewich valley, youl'll have to climb back up to your car at the end of the trip. Parts of this route were hit pretty hard by fires this summer; travelling through these areas is cool or creepy, depending on your point of view.

• 4 weeks later...

Best Approach:

DNR helitac, Bell 205++. 40 minute flight one way from Loomis heliport to helispot 24 (ahanola pass), 4 hour hike to cathedral. Daily re-supplies @ 0900. Hiding your rack in your line gear is your own problem to figure out.

Seriously, the chewuck/longswamp/tungsten mine works pretty well. One long day and you're there, relatively flat, but possibly closed next year 'cause those god damn fire people love to tear shit up!

From the U.S. side the Chewuck River/Tungsten Creek/Apex Pass route is the shortest "U.S. Route with Trails" to get to Cathedral Pass with about 16 miles one way. There are two options for the start of the hike.

Option 1: Best if you are only hiking: Road 39 out of Loomis. Trailhead is at the Windy Creek trailhead and is NE of Thirtymile Peak. This option is 3.2 mile shorter than Option 2 but has 1300 feet of elevation gain on the way out. The trail starts by going downhill to the Chewuch River.

Option 2. This option is the Thirtymile Trailhead and is best if you have a bike. You can bike the Chewuch River Trail (8.7 miles) until almost the Tungsten/Chewuch River trail junctions which is the Wilderness Boundary.

Option 3: If you are organized enough and have some time hire a backcountry horse outfitter.