bolting

Country_Jake

I have a great boulder in my back yard, I am not worryed about fallling and hurting myself on the 30 feet or so routs, but resently my long time girl friend and a few of her girl friend have showed an interest in the sport but all of them are... well... kind of girly girls...

I have never palced a bolt in a rock... ever... and would like to top rope this boulder so they can learn to climb an fell comfotable with falling. How do I go about placing bolts?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Country Jake:
I have a great boulder in my back yard, I am not worryed about fallling and hurting myself on the 30 feet or so routs, but resently my long time girl friend and a few of her girl friend have showed an interest in the sport but all of them are... well... kind of girly girls...

I have never palced a bolt in a rock... ever... and would like to top rope this boulder so they can learn to climb an fell comfotable with falling. How do I go about placing bolts?

WELL FIRST OF ALL YOU DONT....BOLTING SHOUDL BE DONE BE PEOPLE WITH KNOWLEDGE OF SUCH SKILLZ.....2NDLY....BOLTING A PIECE OF ROCK FOR PLEAURE IS A SELFISH ACT.....

GET LIKE A BIG PIECE OF ROPE AND SLING THE FUCKER....OR GET ANOTHER PIECE OF ROPE AND ANCHOR IT BEHIND THE ROCK.....TO SET YOUR TR.....

DONT BOLT....YOU WILL GO TO HELL!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Country Jake:

0) Ask an experienced bolter to do it for you. provide hardware and beer. If that dont pan out, then:

1) Drill a hole.

2) Insert bolt

3) Hammer.

4) dont fuck it up (hole to deep, not blown out, overtightened, undertightened, etc) or the bolt will be worthless. Practice placing about 20 or so in concrete patios, bridge abutments etc. first.

Sounds like too much work? well what the hell, you can buy 3-4 crash pads for the same price as a power drill. Since its at home at least you dont need a cordless drill.

Or you could just use a whole bunch of webbing and build an enormous, clumsy TR anchor set up tied off to something on the ground on the other side of the boulder. Probably way cheaper. Less env. impact. you set a good example for the girlz. huh!

mebbe you could get Strickland to donate some hangers wink.gif" border="0 i hear he is acquiring a large supply smile.gif" border="0

dude, this boulder is in country jake's back yard, not a national forest. the impact or selfishness points are moot. it's HIS rock! i say bolt it if you can do it properly.

hell if i had a 30' tall chunk of rock in my back yard, i wouldn't think twice about putting a couple fat anchors on top for convenient top roping.

peace.

Check out the ASCA page if you really want info. You can find a link on Chris's Supertopo site. I won't ever encourage bolting, but if you're going to do it, at least do it right. You might consider just taking them to the local TR crag, then if they hate it, you've not wasted your time with the bolts, plus you can put them on a few different routes. I'd say they'd get "over" the backyard boulder after a couple of ascents. But, I guess you could always use the bolts to hang a swing, animal carcass, etc.