NPS Management Plan for Skagit River Gorge

dberdinka

Evidently the NPS has decided to develop a management plan for sport climbing and bouldering in the Skagit River Gorge (and elsewhere) in the park. They are requesting public comment!

PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED DOCUMENT if interested in commenting.

I received this as a forwarded e-mail originally sent by someone who seemed like a pretty rabid anti-climbing enviromentalist. To quote....

"The Park has finally realized that natural resources are being destroyed and as more routes and boulder problems are created, more people are trampling and reconfiguring the landscape"

If you like climbing there you might want to get a word in!

277927-Climbing Mgmt Scoping NewsRelease[1].1.doc

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard rumours of this back in May talking with the IO of the park. NCNP is fairly progressive compared to some other NPs, look at the work they are doing with alpine lake fishing. They could just take the findings, say stocking high lakes has a negative impact and close it. Instead they have had five public scoping meetings and are taking another year to come up with a compromise, something they didn't have to do.

Superintendent Paleck is a pretty cool guy, that's my impression with the dealings I've had with him in the past.

Plus I don't think they are going to have to worry about droves of people flocking there. There just ain't no room!!