Randonnee Rally Ski Race at Alpental

Kelley

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to answer Lowell's question:According to the registration form on the Life-Link website, it looks like the entry deadline is noon on Saturday, but they impose a $5 late registration fee to the entry. Otherwise the regular deadline is by end of day, Thursday.

http://www.life-link.com/alpental_courseinfo.htm

Hope that helps!Sam

[ 03-26-2002: Message edited by: savaiusini ]

You can register at REI all week, or come to REI 6pm Friday to register. 7pm Friday will be the pre race meeting which is mandatory to discuss the rules, course, and hand out bib #'s and race packets (with give aways). We hope the Washington skiers do well.....rumor has it Andrew McLean and the Wasatch boys and girls are coming from Salt Lake....

How 'bout it Lowell? Are you in? And Jens?

i think it would be really cool of the companies and competitors to give their contributions and winnigs to charites throughout the puget sound....i mean b/c skiing is not a sport for the less fortunate, so i would think it would be awesome of everyone to donte their stuff to groups who help others....like th boys and girls club, ymca, ywca and other similar groups.....

what do you think mister Life Link rep, that woud show people that climbers and skiers are really good caring people..........

Erik, Great thought!

The Alpental race was added to the race series as a fund raiser for the Friends of the Northwest Avalanche Center which helps raise awareness and funding to keep the Northwest Weather and Avalanche Hotline and Center afloat. The goal was to give the profits to the NW Avy Center. It will take a lot of racers to raise a profit, but we here at Life-Link will keep trying as we do for all the Avalanche Awareness Centers, Schools and campaigns around the nation. As I recently moved from Seattle to Jackson, Alpental and the Cascades was my first thought for the broadening of the Randonnee Rally race series....my interest in promoting it is to show that the Northwest has some legendary skiers and is a great host for this type of race...I'm really hoping you all prove me right.

[ 03-26-2002: Message edited by: erik ]

Any of you Cascade boys and girls know much about backcountry skiing? Well the Life-Link / Dynafit Randonnee Rally at Alpental this Sunday (Mar. 31) is the place to test your skills and fitness.

The up, down, up, down....race leaves the ski area looping through the Alpental backcountry and back to the finish line at the base. There are more prizes than racers....with Marmot Sleeping Bags, Life-Link ski poles, Dynafit Skis and Boots and prizes from Petzl, Raichle, Cloudveil and many more......And the Pizza and Beer will flow all afternoon. It will be a rare rendezvous of Backcountry Skiers. Don't miss it! Info Below:

Life-Link/DynaFit Randonee Rally at Alpental When : The race is March 31st. Race starts at 8:00 am. There will be a mandatory, pre-race meeting, packet and bib pickup on Friday, March 29. 6:00 p.m. at REI downtown Seattle, in the meeting room. Rules, general race information, and specific course information will be discussed at 7:00 p.m.

Where : Alpental. The race route leads up in the ski area to the out of bounds gate, across the Great Scott Traverse, climbs Piss Pass and downhill ski the Great Scott Bowl. Then, skins back on and reverse the course. For the Elite catagory racers, the course will include the Rec. catagory course, then skin to Source Lake, skin up to Pineapple Pass, ski down the Great Scott Bowl, skin up to Piss Pass and across the Great Scott Traverse, then to the finish line via the ski area. The course promises to be a challenge through Alpental's breathtaking backcountry terrain.

Entry Fee : $35 for individuals or $30 per team member and $20 lift tickets (unless you have a season pass).

Registration : You may enter at the R.E.I downtown Seattle store or online <http://life-link.com/alpregistration.htm> at Life-Link.com and mail in the registration or drop it off at R.E.I (downtown store only). Entry forms will be available at Alpental Guest Services and Retail after Feb. 22. All entries must be dropped off at the R.E.I downtown stores or mailed to P.O Box 2913, Jackson Hole, WY 83001. No entries accepted at the Summit at Snoqualmie.

Discipline : Racers must ascend by use of climbing skins. Randonnee, Telemark or splitboards allowed. Divisions : Men/Women Elite Catagory, Men/Womens Recreational Catagory, and team. Teams are made up of 3 people (men/women or combined). Mandatory Requirements : Safety straps or brakes required. Avalanche Transceiver, shovel and probe required.

Contact Information : Go to Life-Link.com <http://www.life-link.com/> or phone 1-800-443-8620 ex 175 For local information, call Bruce Greenstein at 206-287-4836.

General Information : This Alpine Touring race highlights the strengths and endurance of local skiers, while benefiting the NW Weather and Avalanche Center. Volunteer Opportunities : If you do not wish to race, but want to get involved, you may volunteer to help coordinate the race. Spots for checkpoint duty are still avaiable (that way you get to tour part of the course to get to the checkpoint, as well as base area help. Contact Bruce Greenstein for more info at 206-287-4836. This event is sponsored by Dynafit, Life-Link, REI, Pro Guiding Service, Off-Piste Magazine, and others. The Avalanche Center appreciates your participation.

taken from jacksonhole.com

Snow Depth:81" at the Summit and 72" Mid-Mountain

Total Snowfall:over 395" at the Summit and 300" Mid-Mountain

taken from summit@snoq.com

alpental summit 206" and base 141"

i dunno does anyone in jackson know what snow is???? probably the same answer as your question......

have fun and be safe......

washington is by far the absolute best state in the usa....dont forget that kidz...............

You can still register tonight at 6pm at the downtown REI. Goto the upstairs meeting room (where they do skide shows, etc.). The Life-Link crew from Jackson, WY will be there explaining how the race works, Martin Volkin will be discussing the course and someone from the NW Weather and Avalanche Center will be talking about the snowpack and weather for the weekend.

Remember, the money raised through entry fees go to the Avalanche Center. BTW, Red Hook is one of the sponsors, so even if you are hurting during the race, you know you will be OK afterwards at the post-race party...