World Tunred Upside Down!

Peter_Puget

This in a rag J_B would probably like:

Newtopia: As a resident of Los Angeles, how do you feel about the California recall election?

Mat: Fuck yeah. It is funny how the spin doctors tried to make what was democracy in action seem reactionary because it did not conform to their narrow ideals. Too many Democrats are shrill, hopeless, undersexed squares. It will be funny if the Republicans are hip all of a sudden and the left is suddenly me, you and our high school English teachers lecturing about the triumph of the 60s. That is what is happening here, the Republicans are hijacking culture. And the Democrats are a bunch of squares in suits saying tsk-tsk-tsk. It is funny. I lost any hope in politics after what Clinton did to Jerry Brown in the 1992 primaries. The first issue of Coagula was a pamphleteering plea to elect Jerry Brown. Clinton was a hopeless square and now that is coming home to roost. The true intellects and creative forces in the Democratic party have been marginalized in favor of Centrist conformists, and now the Republicans are saying "Hey let's party!" and the true strengths of the Democrats are seen as fringe, risky strategies by the Democratic leaders, and the Republicans seem like visionaries, but a monkey in a fez would seem like a leader and visionary standing next to Bustamante or Davis!

PP bigdrink.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

j_b said:

Peter_Puget said:

and now the Republicans are saying "Hey let's party!" [/i]

....can you leave me out of it?

It will be funny if the Republicans are hip all of a sudden and the left is suddenly me, you and our high school English teachers lecturing about the triumph of the 60s.

Cough. Cough. grin.gif

catbirdseat said:

It would be interesting if any of that were true, however Mat is full of shit. The Republicans think that by saying something enough, people will believe it. To a large extent, they are right.

pretty soon they'll tell us that groping women without their consent was what the 60's were about rolleyes.gif

vegetablebelay said:

catbirdseat said:

It would be interesting if any of that were true, however Mat is full of shit. The Republicans think that by saying something enough, people will believe it. To a large extent, they are right.

Too many Democrats are shrill, hopeless, undersexed squares

So first they say that Clinton was a sex maniac, but now they say he's a square. Which is it?

The guy plays improv jazz on the sax. That makes him cool in my book.

vegetablebelay said:

catbirdseat said:

Too many Democrats are shrill, hopeless, undersexed squares

bwahahaha, i hope the repubs say so to their constituency and we'll see how far it takes them.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2003/10/28/abstinence/index.html

"Take Advocates for Youth, a national nonprofit organization that provides teens with accurate and informative sex education. In 18 years as a federal grantee, it has never been subjected to a government financial audit. That is, until it was suddenly hit with three in less than a year (one by the Centers for Disease Control back in October 2002, a second by the General Accounting Office in early 2003, and the third just two months ago, by a different arm of the CDC). The organization is crying conspiracy -- saying that it's being unfairly targeted because of its negative views toward the administration's abstinence-only education policies -- and the claims appear to be more than just paranoia. "

[...]

"The CDC has conducted three reviews in the past 10 months of San Francisco's STOP AIDS program in an effort to make sure that none of its federal grant dollars have gone toward funding workshops that may promote sexual activity. And the New York-based Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States (SIECUS) has been audited twice this year (its first audits ever, despite a decade of receiving federal grants), evidently because it created No New Money for Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Programs, a Web site designed to educate the public about the possible dangers of abstinence-only education and to call for grassroots campaigns against the continued funding of these programs."

[...]

"In Louisiana, a number of sex-education programs funded by Gov. Mike Foster's Program on Abstinence were found guilty in a federal court of openly violating the constitutional tenet of separation of church and state. The American Civil Liberties Union sued the governor's program after discovering numerous violations, including the use of grant money to teach abstinence through scripture, to perform skits with Christ as a character, to purchase Bibles, and to fund prayer vigils at abortion clinics. Though those Louisiana nonprofits are now required to turn in regular reports to the governor about their activities, none, to date, have been put before an HHS audit."

[...]

"There are three streams of revenue from which the federal government has chosen to award grant money to abstinence-only education programs: the Adolescent Family Life Act, started by President Reagan in 1981; the Welfare Reform Act of 1996; and the newly developed Special Programs of Regional and National Significance, which puts federal money directly into the hands of community-based organizations. All of these initiatives share a strictly delineated eight-point definition of "abstinence-only" that any program must meet to receive funding. Basically, this amounts to teens being taught that the only way to avoid pregnancy or STDs is to abstain from any and all sexual activity until marriage. For a program to comply with the eight-point definition, it must teach students that "a mutually faithful monogamous relationship in the context of marriage is the expected standard of sexual activity." Teachers in these programs are not allowed to endorse the use of condoms or other forms of contraception. However, they are apparently allowed to use instructional texts containing lines such as, "Is it fair to make a baby die because of a bad decision his or her parents made?"

[...]

"The abstinence-only drive was labeled a priority for HHS almost immediately after George W. Bush stepped into office. Starting in 2002, Congress has granted more than $100 million each year to organizations that sponsor abstinence-only programs; the average spending on these programs during the Clinton administration was about $60 million a year. Currently the only avenue through which organizations supporting comprehensive sex education can acquire federal grants is the Department of Adolescent Sexual Health, a division of the CDC that offers money strictly for HIV/AIDS prevention and gives out approximately $10 million a year divided among more than 40 organizations."

[...]

wave.gif

j_b said

cut_paste blah, blah, blah

"It will be funny if the Republicans are hip all of a sudden and the left is suddenly me, you and our high school English teachers lecturing about the triumph of the 60s." wave.gif

Give us a Kumbayah while you are at it homey... fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

What news? You happy about the bombings in Iraq?

"Boy all of those dead Iraqi civilians should really hurt Bush's poll numbers! Yippee!"

Or are you referring to some other news?

Were you at a March in DC recently?

Allan Johnson, a high school English teacher and debate coach from Fairfax, Va., held a sign saying "U.S. Troops Out of Iraq. Bring Them Home Now!" at Saturday's "End the Occupation" rally in Washington. In fact, though, Johnson isn't sure he wants to bring the troops home now, or to end the American occupation of Iraq. At least, not yet.

"We've made a giant mess," said Johnson, a handsome man who wore his long snowy hair in a ponytail and had a sparkling stud in one ear. "I would hate for the Bush administration to halfway fix things and then leave, and then blame the Iraqis if things go wrong. Once you go to somebody's house and break all the windows, don't you owe them new windows?"

Why, then, was he marching at an End the Occupation rally? "I don't agree with all the people here, believe you me," he said. But his own sign? He glanced at it, startled, and explained that someone had handed it to him. "I didn't even look at it," he said. "I was just waving it."

JayB said:

What news? You happy about the bombings in Iraq?

"Boy all of those dead Iraqi civilians should really hurt Bush's poll numbers! Yippee!"

Or are you referring to some other news?

oh no, now you resort to smearing your opponent. how original. is it visionary too?

Spill it. What news? Peter, Paul, and Mary getting back together? David Crosby publish a new book of poetry that he'll read aloud at your house? New Jerry Garcia talking doll with lifelike "Dragon Chasing" action and soot smudged beard issued by Hasbro? Not sure what else could have you feeling so giddy about "The News." hahaha.gif

JayB said:

Allan Johnson, a high school English teacher and debate coach from Fairfax, Va., held a sign saying "U.S. Troops Out of Iraq. Bring Them Home Now!" at Saturday's "End

[...]

Why, then, was he marching at an End the Occupation rally? "I don't agree with all the people here, believe you me," he said. But his own sign? He glanced at it, startled, and explained that someone had handed it to him. "I didn't even look at it," he said. "I was just waving it."

so you had to post it twice, as if it was some juicy material. your having to pick on some dude (who actually had the gumption to get off the couch and be honest) as if it was some profound observation about folks against the war is ridiculous and says reams about the lack of reasons you have to support this adminstration.

JayB said:

No really. Did the Woodstock Retrospective come out on DVD with new interactive features?

if you want to rewrite history successfully and appropriate yourself the 60's you'll have to do better than that. right now you sound exactly like your great grand parents did when confronted with the youth movement.

JayB said:

What news? Peter, Paul, and Mary getting back together? David Crosby publish a new book of poetry that he'll read aloud at your house? New Jerry Garcia talking doll with lifelike "Dragon Chasing" action and soot smudged beard issued by Hasbro? Not sure what else could have you feeling so giddy about "The News." hahaha.gif

obviously you need to read better press if you are not aware that americans and local civilians are dying every day in iraq and afghanistan. do i need to remind you that it was supposed to be all over by now? that none of this is a surprise? where are the wmd? what about making the world safer for democracy and eliminating terrosism? when are the troops coming back? how much is this going to cost?

j_b said:

JayB said:

What news? Peter, Paul, and Mary getting back together? David Crosby publish a new book of poetry that he'll read aloud at your house? New Jerry Garcia talking doll with lifelike "Dragon Chasing" action and soot smudged beard issued by Hasbro? Not sure what else could have you feeling so giddy about "The News." hahaha.gif

obviously you need to read better press if you are not aware that americans and local civilians are dying every day in iraq and afghanistan. do i need to remind you that it was supposed to be all over by now? that none of this is a surprise? where are the wmd? what about making the world safer for democracy and eliminating terrosism? when are the troops coming back? how much is this going to cost?

How would you suggest handling the situation?