Lightweight Gear?

JoeTool

o.k.,I'm curious (George?) about what people carry on their winter/alpine overnights(assume in the snow above treeline low of 0-20?)? What's the lightest you've gotten away with on a 'planned' overnight.i'm also just curious about what shit people take(what's the weirdest?). I'm not trying to start a sprayfest about who has the most expensive gear,just what you've found that works.

I've managed 25 pounds so far not including food or water

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea how much it weighed, but an alpine pack, 5 degree bag, bivy sack, pad, shovel, whisperlite stove, pot, the usual layers of clothes, and food. I also was skiing with tele skis, skins and leather boots. It was pretty light. I usually carry more amenities (extra pad, clothes, food, booze.)curiousgeorge.jpg

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: ScottP ]

I cut the weight of my winter pack down to about 65 pounds(Including alpine ski boots, but not skis or poles).We use snowmobiles as our means of transportation, so cutting out the extra pad and clothes is really tough. Cutting down the distance your going to travel rather than cutting out luxury items seems to be safer and more fun.

1968. Wool pants, wool longjohns, wool shirt, wool sweater, wool coat, wool socks, wool hat, a pot, some matches, a 6X8 sheet of plastic, a good knife, and a foam pad all in a small day pack. Out for three days on skiis in western Montana. We have all gotten soft boys. [sleep]