Cushman Cliffs???

nervedoc

Does anyone know about the cliffs around Lake Cushman? I have hear there is some sport climbing there. If anyone knows anything about it (like how to get there, or if it is even worth it) the info would be great? Anywhere else within striking distance from Kitsap co. would be good too. cool.gif" border="0

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few lines at Cushman Cliffs. It is mostly used for Mountaineers or SAR practice. As your driving along Lake Cushman torwards Stair Case look for a big rock out cropping into the lake on the left. Should be a couple picnic tables and a good size pullout. Climbs are up the hill on the right. Just follow the obivious trails and you will eventually find a rock to climb. Climbs are not hard. I think Alpine Experience in Olympia may sell a quide book. I have climbed there a couple of times on hot summer days. The swimming is great afterwards.

There are 3 routes that go from the waterline of Lk Cushman on the left, semi-bolted, as the hangers are often stolen. They go 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8 from left to right. Usually tope-roped from the big Doug fir on top as anchor. There are two areas on the right side; 200' up the trail is a solid block of Basalt with a couple of routes bolted ~5.10. About 300' to the south a large buttress has several more routes. The best is on the far right- a well bolted overhang leads to a mantle- ends with 20' of friction. Easy left, about 5.11 straight up. 5.9 if you're 6'6" or taller.