A serious question from me

allthumbs

I was considering laser surgery a few years ago. I was at a party with someone who worked in a eye surgery center at a hospital I asked him about laser surgery and he was generally positive about it. The I asked how many Drs. has he seen have it. He answered a bunch. I then asked how many ophthalmologits. He said zero. I thought epiphany.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:
...I then asked how many ophthalmologits. He said zero. I thought epiphany.

Haha, thats awesome! I'm leery of this surgery. I make do with contacts. I get the smallest possible bottle for solution. I'm glad for all the folks who've had good results, but I know there are several "horror story" web sites with terrifying testimonials!--Michael

I see 27 of everything.

My brother is a lasic surgeon. He talked me out of it but for reasons that do not affect everyone. First, I am 43 and however much you correct your nearsightedness with lasic, you will have to correct your eventual "mature eye" (reading when you are old)with reading glasses by that much more than had you not had the surgery. Also, my corneas are very thin making me a marginal candidate. Third, if I lost my glasses, I could survive. It would be no fun but I could get off a mountain, or up if I had to.

As far as the "halows" people mentioned above, those are probably from a different procedure called "radial karetotomy". Flame me if I am wrong but I have not heard of halows resulting from lasic.

Don't go to my brother. He is fairly new at it and you definately want someone who not only has the experience but also the knack. It is an art not a pure science. The computer controls the incision and laser but the placement and depth of both are up to the surgeon. Since every eye is different there is no set depth and placement. The surgeon has to be very good at percieving how your eye will react to his planned modifications.

If I were a young bug, I would have it done. As it is, I will be lucky to get 20 more years of serious climbing in. And that will be between my kids' functions. If you are twenty something, don't hesitate. If you are 35+ consider your options carefully. Life changes. cool.gif" border="0