West McMillan Spire

mvs

Saturday Der Wanderer and I hiked up the Goodell Creek/Terror Basin route. We camped in the flat moraine basin at 5700 feet. We climbed the West Ridge route Sunday, and returned to the car just before dark. The entire route was easy to follow - even the steepest, brushiest parts of the ascent from Goodell Creek were not difficult. I failed to bring enough water from the car, so travelled in a haze of thirst until finding a seep just before camp. The glacier is mostly a snowfield, so our decision not to bring a rope worked out fine. Crampons were an asset.

On the hike out I was so amazed by the beauty of the alp slopes we traversed - red and green heather, incredibly picturesque outcrops with stone gardens and bansai-like trees. (thx for the spelling correction "catbirdseat"!) All in a mysterious slanted fall afternoon light.

Anyway, highly recommended! wave.gif

Edited by mvs

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mvs said:

Saturday Der Wanderer and I hiked up the Goodell Creek/Terror Basin route. We camped in the flat moraine basin at 5700 feet. We climbed the West Ridge route Sunday, and returned to the car just before dark. The entire route was easy to follow - even the steepest, brushiest parts of the ascent from Goodell Creek were not difficult. I failed to bring enough water from the car, so travelled in a haze of thirst until finding a seep just before camp. The glacier is mostly a snowfield, so our decision not to bring a rope worked out fine. Crampons were an asset.

On the hike out I was so amazed by the beauty of the alp slopes we traversed - red and green heather, incredibly picturesque outcrops with stone gardens and banzai-like trees. All in a mysterious slanted fall afternoon light.

Anyway, highly recommended! wave.gif

You mean bonsai.

I guess Colin and Marko have the educated answer to that question! Uneducated guesses below:

I think it would be a sufferfest in winter. The road and part of the steep trail up would be snow-free/easy. But then you'd probably lose the trail as it begins traversing north in steep forest. What if you go too far or not far enough when you hit 5000 feet? I think there would be some troublesome cliffs in that case. Then, you have a loong traverse across snow slopes to get to the normal camp. I think the climbing route itself would be fun and easy.

Of course, having made one visit to the Pickets to tick the introductory route, I'm very qualified to speculate! yelrotflmao.gif

Maybe somebody else will get on this thread with more info. What about Stetattle Ridge in the winter?

John and Michael,

talking to colin and looking at his slides of the approach (under the perfect conditions he had) seemed fairly strait forward. it took them i think under 5 hours (colin correct me if i am wrong). you would bring snowshoes so carrying them on the snowless trail would not be too much of a weight problem. and it doesnt matter about losing the trail after you encounter snow becuase you make your own anyway. so it would makes things easier in winter with the brush covered. just bring a map and compass i guess. and call colin for specific beta smile.gif . i was thinking about how fun that route would be in the winter. great views. my 2 cents of info.

Aidan

Edited by highclimb