Spectre Ice Piton

jstreet

Spectre Ice Piton

never used

$25 (normally $35 new)

The Spectre is designed to work where screws can’t. Chandeliered and curtained ice, mud and cracks are no match for the Spectre. Cut from ultra-tough 4130 CrMo steel, the Spectre’s radically curved shape keeps the load close to the ice’s surface to prevent levering. Reverse teeth help to keep it from being pulled up and out as you move past it. The Spectre places faster than a screw and is a must-have for technical-ice and mixed climbers. Comes with a sewn 16-mm sling. Weight: 184 g (6.5 oz).

spectre%20ice%20piton.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Rainier_Wolfscastle said:

Anyone taken a fall on one that was placed in ice?

I've never fallen on one, nor do I know anyone whose ever fallen on one. I do know they place alot better in icey mud/rock conglomerate - and I've heard they'll hold falls better when placed that way.

Rainier_Wolfscastle said:

Does anyone ever use these? Anyone taken a fall on one that was placed in ice? I used to carry one, but never placed it. It also seemed kinda dangerous to have something this sharp dangling from your harness if you fell

I can verify that these things are the shit for puncturing your platypus while hiking and causing an in-pack flood.

Other than that I usually carry one around. I had one as my only pro on a M4 pitch once, it was nice to have it!!! Placing them as ice pro is dumb, they will apparently pull out before you can even put enough force on em to activate a Screamer. But in icy cracks too thin for a Tricam, they rock. Also you can hook flakes with em.

Only thing is you can buy em or the DMM copy at MEC for like $25 CDN so $25 US seems like a big ripoff.