Gunsight Peak, East Face

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My partner and I were back there in 2000 and it didn't look like the route as described existed anymore. There was shattered rock and loose blocks everywhere we went. The brilliant white rock and complete lack of lichen lead us to believe that the route that was climbed by Skoog/Brill no longer exists. We started climbing up the E. Face and encountered very loose, broken and razor sharp rock. We bailed into the coulior to the south of the face (climbers left) and ascended a line on the S. Face until we were able to bisect the E. Face route above where the rockfall may have occured (if you look at the picture in the select climbs it is the roof you see above the climber is where we came onto the ridge). The climbing on the S. Face and on the ridge is very solid. The route was maybe 8-10 pitches or so in length from Blue glacier to summit.

The route we did was probably more or less the S. Face route that is described in Green Beckey. It is probably 5.7 II+. I would definately reccomend it. The rock was super solid but the gully to get to the face is a bit grungy. The sub peak to the south looked stellar.

back_gs.JPG