Lost/Stolen gear at Smoke Bluffs 8/2

mmcmurra

Sat. evening I led and then set up a TR on Burgers & Fries. All of our party of 4 climbed it, then we let a party of 3 women climb it. Then we pulled the rope, and left the anchor for less than 20 min before 2 of our party walked around to practice rapping from it. When they arrived, there was no anchor; they assumed someone else in our party must have cleaned it, so they set up another and rapped, while we used other ropes to lead and TR other climbs.

Besides the three women, two guys with a sweet Samoyid dog set up a TR in between B&F and Wisecrack, and a lone solo climber traversed around for a while. Just before dark some guys showed up at the top to try to see Mars rise above the Chief.

The anchor that disappeared was a gray Web-O-lette, three locking biners, and a backup red cordelette with a locking and non-locking biner (overkill, I know, but for the benefit of a beginner in our party).

I want to believe that with all the communal rope-sharing, there was some misunderstanding and someone ended up with my gear by mistake, but I realize theft is a likely explanation. I ran back to the crag Sunday a.m. when we realized what happened, but no one there had found anything.

Anyone have any useful info? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Michael

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry about your lost gear. in reference to burgers and fries however, the climbers access cttee spent a long time in negotiations with squamish council and the residents keeping that area open. they agreed to limit climbing there to mornings and afternoons. it works; the neighbours are happy. so please don't climb there in the evenings and try not to make lots of noise, etc. anywhere else in the bluffs is fine. i think this is mentioned in the guidebook.

jefffski said:

so please don't climb there in the evenings and try not to make lots of noise, etc. anywhere else in the bluffs is fine. i think this is mentioned in the guidebook.

Yikes! I didn't realize that! I knew the mornings were sensitive, but hadn't even thought about before dark. We were very quiet and spent little time at the top of the cliff (too little, apparently, given the gear losscrazy.gif), but thanks for the heads up, I'll be more aware next time.

Michael

i wish there was some signage to let people know. it's so easy to go to a new area and break the unwritten code. there is one very mean resident there who has been uncooperative (chopping bolts etc). i can't wonder if it's him. clearly you were not deserving of this.

There is a sign at the parking lot, and at the base of Burgers and Fries as you are approaching from the parking lot, so the code isn't exactly "unwritten," it's also in the front of the Squamish Guidebook.

As for the mean resident... that would be me. I was going to replace some of the anchors, but after a lengthy chat with Dwayner, I saw the error in my ways, and decided to chop all the old sissy TR anchors. hahaha.gif

JUST KIDDING! Actually the good news is that The "meanie" has recently moved, and the new people in that house, while not climbers, are quite friendly, and are interested in trying out the sport. cool.gif Probably wasn't him. laugh.gif

We are going wayyyy OT here, but it's cc right wink.gif

Alexis will be settled up soon. The appropriate signs are getting a clear coat, and the hangers and chains are on the way too. As soon as they are all installed, there will once agaiin be climbing at Alexis.

Hot Cherry is unlikey, and so is the Malemute (lower).