Brent Mathieson Memorial info.

Dru

Brent Mathieson died on Thursday night as he was driving up to the Lillooet Ice Fest. He spun his car out in snowy conditions on Highway 12 and rolled it twice. Here is some info about a memorial that is being held if you knew him:

Memorial Service for Brent Mathieson

A gathering in honour of Brent Mathieson will be held on Saturday, February 2, 2002 at the Mountain Equipment Co-Op. Challenges in securing a location for this event were encountered and MEC has graciously offered to host and help organize the memorial. The address is 130 West Broadway with doors opening at 7:30 PM.

Everyone who has been touched by Brent's presence is invited to attend and share stories, photographs, and memories. A number of speakers will lead us through an exploration of Brent's impact on our community followed by time for social interaction and celebration of Brent's life. Refreshments and a selection of light snacks will be provided.

If you have slides, photographs or other memorabilia that you would like presented on Saturday, please contact Dana Lindahl by phone at (604) 675-9396 or by email at adventuresonearth@telus.net. There will be space available for anything you feel appropriate to present for the gathering, including any audio/visual aids that you may require. For more information or to offer your help in any way, please contact Karrie Kaszczuk by phone at (604) 730-5065 (email kkaszczuk@mec.ca) or Dave Sulina at (604) 988-7490 (email dsulina@pacifccoast.net).

A trust fund has been opened in Brent's name at the Royal Bank of Canada. Donations in lieu of flowers will be accepted at the memorial or can be made directly at any Royal Bank Branch.. The focus of these funds is yet to be determined but they will be directed towards a cause worthy of Brent's vision and ideals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and carefully considered.

The difficulty in finding a location for this memorial has limited the ability to effectively advertise plans for Saturday. Please make all efforts to forward this message to any who may wish to attend.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really sad.

Brent was the instructor on my first avalanche course, which was one of my first experiences in any sort of backcountry adventuring. I couldn't ski worth shit but he still let me take the course and was incredibly patient even though I could barely keep up.