limited bouldering?

dyno_merchant

Where is Entiat River Road off of Hwy 97? I couldn't find it on a map. What kind of rock is it?

...thanks to everyone who has commented on my posts. For a while there I thought that Leavenworth was the only place that people went to boulder in Wash. I'm psyced to find that other areas are getting some pebble pinching also.

I'm moving back to Washington in May or June and I'm excited to role back some moss and unearth some classic areas to add to the hopefully growing list.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah...

I'm still interested in hearing about more areas. There has got to be more out there or I might be starting to press into the realm of hush-hush secret areas that people won't discuss. Oh well, bring on the beta and I'll do my best to return the favor with info about the year round bouldering in arizona.

Faust:

The place near Rimrock Lake (and up a logging road) sounds like an area called The Caldera. It's up a side road the branches off on the way to the Wildcat cliffs. There are a good number of boulders with surprisingly good rock (welded tuff, I think), but only 3 or 4 have legitimate bouldering. Of those, only one has anything harder than V0 without contrivance. But, the one boulder with harder problems is cool and the area may be worth checking out for a few minutes if you're in the immediate area.

There are some other scattered boulders around Rimrock Lake, including some just off the Tieton Road between Rimrock & Clear Lake that I've played around on some. (They're metamorphic rock--probably greenstone--not the typical Tieton volcanics.) If someone were to put in a little time cleaning, there'd be some fun, moderate problems, but with their location and limited potential, they'll probably stay dirty.

quote:

Originally posted by rat:
the rock can be scaley and friable due to its proximity to the basalt.

I said that? What was I thinking! My little rat head is way to close to my rat ass. That doesn't make any goddamn sense. The plutonic rocks at Butte are scaley and friable, and they are hundreds of miles away from the Columbia River Basalts! The granite at Banks Lake are part of an Eocene intrusive series which also includes at least four generations of dike emplacement. The scaley and friable nature of the massive rocks is probably due to weathering, post-emplacement tectonism, and hydothermal events associated with later acidic igneous rocks. While my earlier assumption regarding the CRB sounds good, I was premature to make this association.

I apologize, and from now on my posts will only refer to ice conditions, locations of climbs, grades, how Dan Larson sucks, and a little rat ice-axe sodomy sex shit.

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: rat ]

I have seen a wonderous sight. Quite unbelievable really. Boulders of all shapes and sizes. Not fallen from a nearby cliff, but bestowed upon us by a great and generous Canajun glacier that carried them down here and plunked down in the middle of now green fertile fields. Great glacial erratics Batman! You'll find them in the largest county in Washington, right near the Castle of Aaarrrrgggghh....

North of Puyallup where I was raised, there is an impressive boulder, about the size of the popular boulder below Yellow Jacket Tower in Leavenworth, only shorter so that you don't need to top-rope anything. When I was a kid, we scrubbed about 15 routes on this thing (up to 5.11 probably), and it had two long traverses. The boulder sits on private land and the owners are friends of my parents. Out of respect for their wishes, I'm not going to disclose its location. Somebody with a little library research ability could figure it out.

Why bring this up then? It just makes me curious about how many other erratics are secretly lurking around the Puget Sound area, hiding in the woods near densely popualted neighborhoods. Also, it is my fantasy to be in the position to purchase the property on which this boulder sits, should it ever come up for sale. And when/if this happens, we're going to have to have a big ol' kegger/wire-brush party out there. I'm certain the old routes have been reclaimed by moss by now.