Ellensburg Ice

pete_a

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Cousin and i went to climb this beutiful peice of ice on new years eve. it was great there was no one in site except for some campers that left after we arrrived. we first started bouldering on some ice in a little coldusac behind the falls (you'll see it on the trail going down to the falls) it was pretty good ice but a little brittle. then we tope roped the main falls and climbed them for like 4 hours strait smile.gif what a way to end the year smile.gif

Aidan

Off of canyon rd, take a right(west)on umptaneum rd. Proceed forever. Eventually There will be a pulloff on your left with a small sign that says umptaneum fall trail. The trail will be well packed as it sees a lot of traffic(hikers) The approach is about a mile with very little elevation gain.

Thanks for the info. Dave Lennon and I played around on Um[p]tanum Falls this morning -- lots of fun for beginners like us since it's so easily TR-able. BTW for the record, the falls are indeed formed by the creek that scratched out the canyon of the same name (mod the spelling) -- it's just at the other end.

No one else at the falls... just an ROTC group at the trailhead getting ready for some sort of winter orienteering exercise.