Clothing System

Tool

I'm trying to get lighter with my clothing system on stuff like Rainier, etc.

Right now I carry a DAS jacket, GTX shell (13 oz.), Puffball jacket, Schoeller jacket, windshirt, in addition to a silkweight top that I wear.

I usually don't carry a sleeping bag.

Should I be leaving any of this shit at home? And I know, it's all relative as to how cold you get, etc., etc., etc.

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tool said:

I'm trying to get lighter with my clothing system on stuff like Rainier, etc.

Right now I carry a DAS jacket, GTX shell (13 oz.), Puffball jacket, Schoeller jacket, windshirt, in addition to a silkweight top that I wear.

I usually don't carry a sleeping bag.

Should I be leaving any of this shit at home? And I know, it's all relative as to how cold you get, etc., etc., etc.

Thanks.

Could you clarify? I don't think I understand

DAS Parka (heavy duty warm synthetic parka)

Puffball Jacket (light duty synthetic jacket)

GTX Jacket (your hardshell)

Schoeler Jacket (your softshell)

Windshirt (nylon windbreaker)

Poly pro (duh)

I'd say it depends on the forecast, but, you shouldn't need more than 2 of the jackets and the poly pro. If the weather's iffy, take the goretex and DAS parka, if descent forecast, schoeler and puffball, if great forecast (like in the 90's in Seattle) I'd take the windshirt and puffball. I could see carrying the Windshirt as an extra layer at all times, but other than that, you should be able to combine any 2 jackets to cover all conditions.

The last trip I took up Rainier, it was the hot weekend about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I never got my synthetic parka out of the pack except to use as a pillow. I was fine in a softshell even on the summit, but I am a warmer dude than most of my partners.

Edited by Bronco