• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Eugenian

TR: South Sister 6/19

For all of us slogging non-skiers...

Went up south sister on Thursday...didn't get started until 9:30 from Devils Lake, but nonetheless a gorgeous and successful day. The route was in excellent condition for foot traffic. There was a bit of rime ice and hard crust near the summit as the wind was BLOWING but still did it in leather boots and no crampons. Had no problems and only saw two people heading the other direction down near Moraine Lake...a perfect day! So skip the weekend crowds, cut work on Monday, and go climb it before the trail melts out! laugh.gif

saw one skeeer in my car on the way home...a pleasent change after getting 83 bites on Diamond Peak the weekend before. smile.gif

Nice work! That was a nice day, the next day was shite up there. Skeeters are out in full force now, i hate em.

Well, there sher as hell weren't no skeeters up there this weekend! Left for Moraine Lake Sat. about 5 in the rain which turned to sleet which turned to big, heavy wet snowflakes by the time we got to the lake. Made camp outta the wind and underneath the cover of some trees. Wind blew and it sleeted/snowed seemed like all night. So much for the "summer solstice"! Woke up Sunday to sunshine and two inches of fresh snow. Made for good skinning most of the way up except for the "informal" Mazama group that kept crisscossing my skin track and making me wait for them to get out of my way. Overheard from a woman in the group: "those spiny things sure would come in handy right now..." yellaf.gif Priceless. Skiing was good from the top, but got slushy and grabby pretty quick.

Thrashador said:

Hmmmmm, "overheard from a Mazamas group." hahaha.gif

I posted that little goody so you wouldn't have to smirk.gif