Oregon Cascade Access

BandedGlacier

How's the snow pack out in the middle/northern parts of the oregon cascades...snow levels at 4,200? What is access from the south and east looking like... '242' still out of the question...yes? Is it possible to snowshoe the trail up towards Hope and hit the PCT for northern travel from points close to moraine lake? What are overall area conditions for this section of the PCT and points North to Linton meadows, Obsidain falls...Middle Sister...

Anybody been in this area as of May or June????

Beta would be appreciated.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that the 242 will probably remained closed for quite some time until the snow pack recedes. I'm interested in any useful info about access to the sisters region and the PCT from south of the moraine lake of Hope (South sister) and conditions of the PCT from the south sister area to the linton meadows slash obsidian falls area.

the 242 road is half plowed to allow for the snowmelt to go somewhere. the gates are still closed. Access from the Pole Creek area, for middle and north sisters, is still shaky from what i hear. there are lots of blown down trees and snow everywhere. it makes a really good ski outting right now. There should,however, be a good boot track in there as there were tons of people in there during the last few weekends. thumbs_up.gif

here's a pic of the middle sister area taken on 6/8/2003 from Broken Top: http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=1024

BandedGlacier said:

I realize that the 242 will probably remained closed for quite some time until the snow pack recedes. I'm interested in any useful info about access to the sisters region and the PCT from south of the moraine lake of Hope (South sister) and conditions of the PCT from the south sister area to the linton meadows slash obsidian falls area.

fwiw, the difference in the snow pack in a weeks time was amazing this past week. from south sister, it appeared that the meadows from mirror lakes north were still fairly snowed in, but again this is melting fast.

this week is bringing some cooler weather (mid 70's in bend) so melting won't happen quite as fast as it did last week. i think your best bet will be to accesss from the east side, at least it will be a bit faster.