Any opinions on W. Arete of Constance?

klenke

I was looking at doing Mt. Constance by something other than the punter South Chute, North Chute, or Finger Traverse Routes. Guidebook talks about the West Arete Route (Route 2) and it goes at Grade III, 5.4. That doesn't sound bad at all. But then the book says this route is difficult and very exposed. Exposure can be found on any class rating, but why would 5.4 be considered difficult when there are other routes listed as harder? What I want to know is what made it difficult? Chossy rock?

If you don't recommend the West Arete Route, what other rock routes would you suggest?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fence_Sitter said:

given that area, i would say the tendancy for your 5.4 holds to come flying out... hellno3d.gif

That's the deal. Loose rock. Difficult to protect. I've not been on that route, but I've watched watermellons fall down it from Crystal Pass. Same goes for the Red Dike. Inner Constance has some better climbs, I think, if you don't mind dropping down in class.

Flying_Ned said:

That's the deal. Loose rock. Difficult to protect. I've not been on that route, but I've watched watermellons fall down it from Crystal Pass. Same goes for the Red Dike. Inner Constance has some better climbs, I think, if you don't mind dropping down in class.

can you get any lower!!!

hahaha.gif

bigdrink.gif