alps climbing

meganerd

Hey thank you to the two of you who responded to my post about partners for the alps. I think I really want to go in July though. What I'd like to know is whether it would be worth it to head over there by myself and try to find climbing partners once there. I'd imagine I could find SOMEBODY to do SOMETHING in Chamonix and possibly Interlaken and Zermatt, but has anybody been over there and witnessed the situation first hand. Also, would the Hornli Ridge on the Matterhorn be reasonable to "solo" given good conditions? (considering there will be a couple hundred other climbers up there as well)

No, I'm not willing to pay for a fucking guide.

I guess even if I couldn't climb every day, I couldn't complain about hanging out and hiking/scrambling/hut hopping around the alps for a month in summer while all you other bastards hate your jobs and look foreward to weekend jaunts to Washington choss-heaps. pitty.gif

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Climbers%20on%20the%20Hornli%20ridge.jpg

On the Hornli

"The Matterhorn is a spectacular mountain and fantastic climb, even with the crowds. If dry, climbers on this route need only a 8.5 or 9 mm rope, a few slings and biners, belay device, plus one or two large 'biners, an ice-axe and crampons. A bit of acclimatization from one of the many beautiful hikes or easier peaks (like Breithorn or Mettlehorn) around Zermatt is invaluable."

Thanks for the help ya'll, I could still use any info for the area that anyone is willing to write down. Also, about how would the Hornli Route compare to popular scrambles around here? My understanding of it is that a large part of it is at about the level of the last 150 feet of Sahale but with a few harder sections thrown in, protected by fixed ropes. And also 4000 feet vert. compared to 150 hellno3d.gif Am I about approxomately right in that estimation? Sahale was my first climb and I did that solo and felt just a little uncomfortable, but that was two years ago.