How's Shasta as a Ski?

cracked

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of them.

The only time I've been up there I slided on my ass for countless feet on the way down and wished I brought skis up. I didnt see any route that was not skiable by a goober. Even I could ski it in positive weather and shitty conditions.

If I go to Mt Shasta again I would never think about going without some skis unless I was a summit hungry dipshit like half the mountaineer types that are up there.

My excuse is that I was with some old dude and I was retarded for not skeetin the bitch.

Shasta rivals our local volcanos as an excellent ski or board trip back down. The dog/standard route is Avalanche Gulch from Bunny Flats. Last year, my group had a great ride down the Hotlum-Wintun route on the east side...I don't know all the routes on Shasta, but have to highly recommend that one over Avalanche Gulch and other south- and east-side routes as far as a ski or board descent. Do a search on cc.com, or telemarktips.com for that matter, and you'll find lots more beta. Skiing there should be good from now through the next 2 months. Have fun.

Off the main route, from the base, you can bust a scramble over the ridge towards Shastina. Once yer crossing over, everything lays out into a a cool ascending traverse all the way to the saddle 'tween Shastina and Shasta. As it was, the glacier going up to the circus on the big one was a slog, but with substantial exposure over a couple big, partly hidden crevasses. Coming back down the dog route, the biggest hazard was the many bodies all decked out in fluffy parkas and GoreTex and laying down in the way. Much nicer by way of Shastina. For whatever its worth.