where to look for climbing partners in utah?

willij3

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm staying with my sister's boyfriend in SLC. I'm willing to go all over the place though. I've never been out there and just want to get around. Worst case I'm just going to do a lot of snowshoeing (there are worse things) and hopefully not get rained on like I would here in Portland.

Try the Front, and IME (a climbing shop right in the same strip mall as the REI, around 3300 east, 3000 south if I remember right). There's also another gym in SLC, and you might try the employee bulletin boards at Alta/Snowbird or Solitude/Brighton...usually some young guns working at the resorts looking to ice climb on off days.

I live in Logan, and will be around until the 23rd when I split for the Christmas holiday. The temps have been cold (it's about 12 Farhenheit mid-day today), so the ice is forming. The snow has been outrageous, too. November was near record setting for the amount of snow. If a high pressure system forms, there's also rock-climbing; even with cold temps, the dark rock of a couple areas warms up enough to comfortably climb. Drop me a line: will@iceclimb.com

I'll be headed down to Utah at the end of this week. I'm going to try to get some climbs in as well as snowboarding and skiing. As far as I know the ice isn't in yet. I am extremely new to ice , but have some friends in SLC who are seasoned veterans. I'll be there until the 26th if your up for climbing.

Jen

wadej@ohsu.edu

As a longtime UT resident,I agree with Will go to the Front (just west of I-15 on 90th S.) or IME,

I don't know what the conditons in Big and Little Cottonwood are like i left during thanksgiving it was snowing like mad, so rock will be out of the question. Great White Icicle in Little Cottonwood might be in season pretty good climb.

As for snowshoing, if you want a challenge try Pfeirhorn in LCC (use Red Pine Trailhead) or about the easiest is Guardsmens Pass in BCC (road leads to about 2 miles away, if you don't mind snowmobliers). I suggest BIG snowshoes becuase UT dry powder provides no floatation, at least for my fat ass. If you want more info just ask or go to my friends webpage. www.geocities.com/yosemite/meadows/7616 We climbed all the 10K ft peaks in Salt Lake County mutliple times.

As for skiing try Alta or Solitude. Snowbird and all of Park City area is overpriced. Brighton will be full of snowboarders, but provides night skiing.

I've only rented Atlas'. When I say I'm fat, I mean I was over 200 lbs when I was snowshoeing. I sank down to ankle to mid-calf when on unpacked trails. Some areas get decent amount of travel. Up to Guardsman pass there is packed road, and it is pretty flat. Up Red or White Pine canyons (in LCC) the trail is pretty sparse.

I'll get to town the night of the 20th, but I don't know when most of my friends fly in from college.