Tieton this Weekend?

JayB

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out there and ran into JayB and ForrestM. wave.gif Nice guys, both, and much harder climbers than I. Forrest was introducing a group of young hotties to their first day climbing out of doors. Way to go Forrest!

Ran into some sheclimbs, too. Toast and I were polite and friendly but got some awful scowls in return. She: "Are you going to climb over there?". Me: "Yes, but there are at least six similar routes." She: "We don't want to climb there if you are there." They move about a mile down the cliff. On their way out, they walked way down the slope to avoid walking near us, like we had leprosy or something. Toast and I showered that morning, so that couldn't have been it.

catbirdseat said:

Toast and I showered that morning, so that couldn't have been it.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif that's funny!

Beta for those that may go to royal columns and cross the river on the cable. The smaller glacier pulleys (orange wheel) DO NOT work. The slightly larger blue pulleys work fine though.

CBS:

Good to see you guys out there. This will surely dissapoint the mountie bashers on this site, but the group that Lee and I ran into at the Royal Columns were a pretty cool bunch. We had zero problems sharing the rock with them.

Here's a couple of pics from the outing:

Leejams putting one of those pulleys to use:

1282leexingtietonsm-med.jpg

Lee on Inca Roads

1282leeonincaroadssm.jpg

Definitely worth spending a whole weekend out there next time.

JayB said:

Good to see you guys out there. This will surely dissapoing the mountie bashers on this site, but the group that Lee and I ran into at the Royal Columns were a pretty cool bunch. We had zero problems sharing the rock with them.

I agree, kudos to the Everett mountaineers for defying all the stereotypes. Pleasure sharing the cliffs with you.

Here’s a few things they did that other institutional groups could learn from:

- kept the group size reasonable (about 25, from what I could tell).

- picked an area with good route density. You never had the sense that “that group is on every route at the cliff.” Columnar areas, like tieton, are obviously a good choice for this.

- they were very careful about rockfall.

- they used walkie talkies so that they could keep organized while physically spreading out. Ok, it does look kind of geeky, but it seemed like it really helped to limit the impact of numbers.

- most important item: they did not give off the sense that they considered it “their” cliff. A big part of this was simply not trying to ignore everyone who isn’t part of their group, i.e. they chatted, kibitzed about the guidebook, made small talk, etc. Amazing that this is even an issue, but i've been astonished at the antisocial attitudes i've encountered...

- Encouraged others to climb through, use the rap line they had fixed, etc.

oh, and catbird, watch out, that's my wife you're talkin' about! shocked.gif