Doing business with the enemy

allthumbs

WASHINGTON -- In the past two weeks, the government has revealed that 57 companies and organizations have been fined for doing business with terrorists, despots and tyrants.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/042403A.shtml

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/civpen/penalties/index.html

My question to you is, what should be done about it?

I am sure that a $14k fine of Chevron will have little effect in dissuading them from future activities of such nature if, as could reasonably be assumed, the profits of the venture are many multiples of that sum. A boycott seems a poor choice as such companies are off the screen, or too large and amorphous as to present a target. Also, the article points out that several of these companies are foreign controlled.

One tactic that might work to some extent is better public exposure, and that exposure aimed at a personal level. By that I mean, aimed at the executive(s) at the top. Public condemnation of your company is one thing, but public condemnation of you is another. People looking askance at you at "the club," at church, or asking the wife at brunch "what the hell is going on with your husband dealing with Saddam," may have an effect where mention of the company would not.

Also, a little help from the media might further the above approach, at least with those not in line to be advertisers. How about O'Reilly and his like showing some photos of Mr. Bill Jones, the CEO of Humbug Corp that was caught selling missile guidance systems to the North Koreans, so Mr. Jones' neighbors can finish the rebuke.

Personal public pillorying will not work in all situations, but could be of some justified benefit in the most egregious of cases.

Anybody have any bright ideas?

trask

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ty-rant: (trnt) n.

An absolute ruler who governs without restrictions.

A ruler who exercises power in a harsh, cruel manner.

An oppressive, harsh, arbitrary person.

oh no...

Anyone doing buisness with Bill Gates better watch out or Phill Knight...

cantfocus.gif

Trask - is there a list of the 57 companies or do you have to look through each country file to see which ones? Was Brown & Reed on the list? From what I've read they've worked with Drug companies and terrorist governments for years as "contractors" and is a subsidiary of Cheny's former employer...