LaSportiva Eiger as an all-season boot?

Farrgo

I'm thinking about switching from plastic doubles to leather boots for this season. Was looking at the LaSportiva Eigers. Wondering if anyone has any imput on them as an all season boot for mountaineering and ice climbing. Also looking at the LaSportiva Lhtose but thinking that they might be a little bulky or cumbersome for long approaches. Any imput?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got em. The soles wear fast. They are soft, good hikers, good (easy) rock climber. They don't grip on snow much. They are too soft for good step-kicking in really hard snow. They are cold. I did some ice climbing in them this season (with G-12s, newmatic) and they are really way too soft for ice. Even on hard snow I was desperately wishing for stiffer boots. And the worst part: they are very flimsy, the many flaps of leather around the ankle are very weak, and I even ripped one of the instep eyelets out, making for even more insecure front-pointing. I'm not sure what they are good for, maybe easy snow, easy rock, many miles? They are NOT ice boots, no matter what Sportiva says. For hiking I'd get light hikers, and use them for alpine rock, too. For ice you want rigid. These might be a decent moderate snow, moderate rock, moderate hike type boot, but I'm not too happy with them. The falling apart really pisses me off.

Used the eigers for almost 2 seasons of hiking and mountaineering. I hated plastics, and decided to wear them both times I went up Rainier last year. They worked but they were kind of cold. They are a very nice alpine boot and one day type of footwear. With mine, as my friends, the back heel separated from the leather, but this was after hundreds of miles of use. I thought they were more than worth it. I used to have the Eigers and then my koflach plastics.

I returned the plastics after one year of use and got a pair of the sprtiva trango s boots for one day trips, etc, and then a pair of Kayland K1's

http://kayland.com/inglese/K1-ing.htm

That's my quiver for now, althougb I have not worn any of these at all this year, only the lasers!

I have a pair of karaokurms, which, as I understand, were the predescesor to the eigers. they are red instead of yellow, but are pretty much the same other than that as far as I can tell. You might be tougher than I, but I wouldn't climb in winter with them as I like some insulation. I, do, however, climb in insulated leathers all winter, including alpine, ice, mixed. etc. In fact, I can honestly say I've never even worn a pair of plastics outside of my randonee boots.