Joe's Valley

Distel32

Tentative trip to joe's valley from tuesday April 22nd to Sunday April 27th. The drive is actually only 20 miles longer than the drive to Bishop and not as crowded. I only ask that you have a good crash pad and are willing to split gas. I get fairly good mileage so it wouldn't cost too much, and there is free camping on BLM land down there. Let me know if you're interested as I will be out of town for the four days leading up to the proposed trip.

rockband.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not totally certain where Joe's Valley is in relation to Capitol Reef, but I know a splendid bouldering area near Torrey (actually near the next town to the west, forget it's name) that you're likely to have to yourself. Here's a pic:

12007.jpg

If you want to explore the option, let me know and I'll hook you up with my buddy Bob who found the place and he can give you more info.

Have fun, I was down in Bishop last week, which was enjoyable, but as you mentioned, rather busy.

Okay, this is the impromptu TR:

Well, fortunately there are some cool things in the V-easy category, which is about my speed, since I boulder like a weak alpinist. Hero roof was everything the name promised. At the Buttermilks I prefer the patina to the grain, so some of those things up by stained glass were very nice, and Hero Roof was everything the name promised.. Sad Boulders were okay, but less easy stuff than the Happy Boulders, though fewer people too. At the Happy Boulders we walked straight up to the end and worked our way back, running out of steam by the Savannah, which was where we had pooped out when we went the other direction on an earlier trip. By day four I fear my poor northwest finger tips throbbed when I merely touched the holds while standing on the ground. We did have a fun day down at the Alabama Hills, climbing some less than vertical face routes (definitely a rest day compared to the bouldering) on J-Treeish rock without any crowds. It was fun and all, and the people, though plentiful, were friendly, and the weather was just about perfect. A couple days snowboarding at Alpine Meadows was an added bonus to the week.

Distel32 said:

Tentative trip to joe's valley from tuesday April 22nd to Sunday April 27th. The drive is actually only 20 miles longer than the drive to Bishop and not as crowded. I only ask that you have a good crash pad and are willing to split gas. I get fairly good mileage so it wouldn't cost too much, and there is free camping on BLM land down there. Let me know if you're interested as I will be out of town for the four days leading up to the proposed trip.

rockband.gif

No crowds? Sheeit. That place is the bouldering flavor of the month (followed closely by the nearby Dinosaur land). pitty.gif

The funny part is, there's so much unclimbed rock in this state, it's absurd for people to flock to an area of boulders. fruit.gif

freeclimb9 said:

No crowds? Sheeit. That place is the bouldering flavor of the month (followed closely by the nearby Dinosaur land). pitty.gif

The funny part is, there's so much unclimbed rock in this state, it's absurd for people to flock to an area of boulders. fruit.gif

thumbs_up.gif

Off_White said:

I'm not totally certain where Joe's Valley is in relation to Capitol Reef, but I know a splendid bouldering area near Torrey (actually near the next town to the west, forget it's name) that you're likely to have to yourself. Here's a pic:

If you want to explore the option, let me know and I'll hook you up with my buddy Bob who found the place and he can give you more info.

Dude, I lived IN that boulderfield in my van for about six months while working hoods in the woods out there. The town is Loa. It's actually a shitty place to boulder. Lots of rock, but not lots of problems. By Bob, I assume you mean Van Belle, and "discovered" it is laughable. The place is on USGS topos as "BIG ROCKS" and visible from both the town of Loa and Hwy24. If driving west on 24 from Loa, at the edge of town there's a triangular dirt parking lot where the road makes a sharp bend to the left. If you go straight here the road turn to dirt and goes into the boulderfield. It's a funky andesite, and looks much better than it is. Van Belles kid was in a Patagonia ad about four years ago bouldering there, kid was maybe 4 yrs old at the time.

Joes is about 1 1/2 hours north northwest from Loa if you drive as fast as I do.

Don't mean to be harsh, but sending someone there to boulder when Joes and LCC are nearby is just plain wrong.

Yeah Will, you're probably right. I've never been to Joe's, and only spent an afternoon in intermittent snow playing at Big Rocks. I had a good time and was impressed by the potential, plus I always enjoy a good no-crowd experience.

I hope you didn't live too close to the area where the ranchers dump all their dead cattle. "The Fleshpits" is what I recall Bob calling it. Yep, the same guy you're referring to. He's been one of my best friends since 5th grade. That would be the 68-69 academic year. yellaf.gif

Dude how's it goin Luke?! I haven't talked to you in forever! We need to get back out together. I'm not for sure but I think I could get the time off of work and come with you to Joe's or whereever you're thinkin of goin now? Just remember that I don't have a harness frown.gif PM me and we'll figure out more plans as it gets closer too the 22nd... Later wink.gif