TR: Dragontail peak, triple couloirs

JoshK

In my (limited) experience, the barfies don't necessarily have to accompany core cooling. Every time I experienced them I wasn't shivering, let alone past shivering. In those cases, my hands got cold from being pressed against the ice, constricted by leashes, and plunged into snow. Another interesting sidenote: once my hands get cold and warm up, they then tend to stay warm and not get cold. Is this due to blood vessels expanding as blood is forced through them when they're cold? But overall, I don't think that the barfies are an indicator of hypothermia onset. Of course, it can be, but not necessarily.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cracked said:

In my (limited) experience, the barfies don't necessarily have to accompany core cooling. Every time I experienced them I wasn't shivering, let alone past shivering. In those cases, my hands got cold from being pressed against the ice, constricted by leashes, and plunged into snow. Another interesting sidenote: once my hands get cold and warm up, they then tend to stay warm and not get cold. Is this due to blood vessels expanding as blood is forced through them when they're cold? But overall, I don't think that the barfies are an indicator of hypothermia onset. Of course, it can be, but not necessarily.

Freezing barrifes can lead to hypothermia but most likely its the on set of frost nip.. and the reheating is the recircliation of the blood in your hand nothing big is just hurts like hell.. So over are freezing barfies and hypothermia are not realiated

Dave

The pain is circulation returning. Pain = good. cantfocus.gif

No pain = no circ returning = frost nip or frostbite. shocked.gif

Getting the SBs on an ice route is like getting pumped in the gym , each time it happens, it seems to take less time to recover.

If you dont like the SBs try Garlic and Gingko Biloba.

cracked said:

Yeah, I know a guy who got six of his fingers frostbitten on Glacier Peak three weeks ago. He was standing around waiting for his buddy to catch up and his got cold. When he started skinning again he warmed up, but not his finger. He's got pics too, check out frostbite

Ouch ouch ouch ouch...those pictures hurt to look at. pitty.gif It does make for a good reminder though about going ahead of a partner in the winter. Standing around (esp. after sweaty) can suck BAD.